Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Positive discrimination is racist for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, it's not.

Racial positive discrimination would not exist if wasnt for widespread racism in the first place.

Positive discrimination is just leveling the playing field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    No, it's not.

Racial positive discrimination would not exist if wasnt for widespread racism in the first place.

Positive discrimination is just leveling the playing field.
    So you agree with discrimination

ReputationRep:
    Of course, it just isn't as damaging if your in a country where everything is controlled by whites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Institutionally, no? So hiring blacks over whites, simply to fill a quota isn't racist?
    Glad you mentioned that in here because it's one of many things that annoys me no end. It's absolutely ridiculous to prioritise skin colour or gender/sex over skill and experience. It takes away the point of earning ones place in a company due to merit. I wouldn't be able to respect someone who "earned" their place by being born black, female or whatever else they happened to be born as, nor would I be able to respect the person who hired them.

If I owned a business and were searching for new employees I'd only hire someone unskilled if they had potential and were visibly determined to succeed.

But yeah. As a side-note, I voted yes, you can be racist towards white people.

ReputationRep:
    This question though

ReputationRep:
    A better question would be do white people get offended if they are racially abused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So you agree with discrimination
    If there is positive discrimination then I have challenge to you

Find me one ( just one) white person, who if they had a job interview and there lives depended on them getting that job and I had a pill, to turn there skin black for a day.

Would any white person take that pill ?

I mean, if these white people, REALLY believed that doors just opened for black people, then they would take that pill

Truth of the matter. There is not one white person who would take that pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_Paul_246)

Find me one ( just one) white person, who if they had a job interview and there lives depended on them getting that job and I had a pill, to turn there skin black for a day.

I mean, if these white people, REALLY believed that doors just opened for black people, then they would take that pill

You may have brown skin but your no Morpheus lol

Positive discrimination exists its policy in many organisations to bring up their levels of bme or women

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    A better question would be do white people get offended if they are racially abused
    But that is assuming you can be racist to white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    You may have brown skin but your no Morpheus lol

Positive discrimination exists its policy in many organisations to bring up their levels of bme or women

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just answered the question as to the myth of positive discrimination.

It's impossible to be racist to white people in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    But that is assuming you can be racist to white people.
    Everyone should assume that anyway. If you can be racist to blacks and yellows then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    Everyone should assume that anyway. If you can be racist to blacks and yellows then...
    I personally agree that black people can be racist to white people. But apparently because of slavery and the general treatment of non white people, blacks can't be racist to white people no matter what they say to them. So not everyone does assume that, in fact the PC assume the exact opposite.

ReputationRep:

Ok for the sake of argument I do take that pill then what's your argument? If I was black and upper class the likelihood is that I would get the job if say the only other applicant was me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Ok for the sake of argument I do take that pill then what's your argument? If I was black and upper class the likelihood is that I would get the job if say the only other applicant was me.
    There is not a white person who would take pill to turn their skin black, if there life depended on getting the job.

Secondly white people don't care if the black person is upper or lower class. It matters not. White racism does not separate black people into groups.

ReputationRep:

You've asked the question, but then just proclaimed the answer.

This is much more of a question of balancing risk/reward. You don't know if the skin change would help or not.

In reality, there are actually written procedures to hire non-whites over whites. There is no such thing the other way round, and would rely on the racism of the individual doing the hiring. In actuality, the changes of your skin colour helping your application are actually higher if you are non-white.

What people believe, and what is actually the case, are not necessarily the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    There is not a white person who would take pill to turn their skin black, if there life depended on getting the job.

Secondly white people don't care if the black person is upper or lower class. It matters not. White racism does not separate black people into groups.
    Come on if the situation was I take the pill and become a black upper class lawyer and the only other person in the interview situation was me (prior to taking the pic obv.) The black upper class lawyer would get the job there's no denying that. Would I regret it afterwards depends on the personality of the dude I've turned into?

Class does count for a lot in that kind of situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Come on if the situation was I take the pill and become a black upper class lawyer and the only other person in the interview situation was me (prior to taking the pic obv.) The black upper class lawyer would get the job there's no denying that. Would I regret it afterwards depends on the personality of the dude I've turned into?Class does count for a lot in that kind of situation.
    Nope. They would not.Remember there has been study after study to show that whites with criminal records have more chance of callback than black people who are clean. Racism exists. Remember a white person of upper class would feel more of a bond to working class white person, than a black person from upper class.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Just popped in to see whether the usual people to engage in race discussions are here and they are, so I'm off. Too much drama for an Easter Sunday. :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    Nope. They would not.Remember there has been study after study to show that whites with criminal records have more chance of callback than black people who are clean. Racism exists. Remember a white person of upper class would feel more of a bond to working class white person, than a black person from upper class.
    No way I don't have any class background whatsoever I would be in the interview saying the black guy should get it and if he didn't the law would come down on the employer like a tonne of bricks. Fact. :bricks:

ReputationRep:

If I had a pill that would turn you white would you take it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.