Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I was in a debate in an A level history class, and a student claimed that you could not be racist to a white person because white people have not experienced systemic opression.
    Oh, that kind of crazy. I feel for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoTreason)
    Who is this [email protected] appropriating the face of the great Milo Yiannopoulos?

It's beyond common courtesy to not use the n-word. It should be used in no situation as it's to denigrating to too many people, being used as a derogatory term in the slavery-era. Please, be a half-decent person, or at least change your profile picture. (Milo would no it isn't his place to say such a word and wouldn't approve of discrimination against black men)
    Common courtesy? But it's acceptable for those of such races to use the phrase themselves? Thus your implication is that those of African-(insert race here) descent are not able to use common courtesy.

Re-read what you read and you will realize that you misunderstood the context in which I used it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Oh, that kind of crazy. I feel for you.
    You're telling me. Someone also said my Masters was not representative of my understanding of life. I suppose A level history is :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy_a)
    Well. Until racism is no longer institutionalised and white people only are no longer in positions of both power and privilege over POC then we can consider that white people can be victims of racism. Oh but wait, that isn't happening anytime soon now is it.
    I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. Once again, look up the definition of racism to prove that you most certainly can be racist towards white people. And this isn't even considering the white people who live in dark-skinned majority countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. Once again, look up the definition of racism to prove that you most certainly can be racist towards white people. And this isn't even considering the white people who live in dark-skinned majority countries.
    Do you know the usual response to that? "White people wrote the dictionaries". Just expect that one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - both personally and institutionally. The word is abstract enough to accommodate for characteristics applied to any ethnicity/race/group by any other race.

Whether White-on-Black racism is more common in the UK is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    Good to see 79.17% (as of my voting) of people have still retained their sense.

Racism is prejudice or different treatment based on race, though I'd argue only manifestly. Even if someone secretly doesnt like a race thats their prerogative provided they treat people of that race completely equally. I wouldnt wish for a second to literally police their thoughts.

As for the SJW blah blah systemic oppression BS that is a narrative parroted by morons to justify being racist, bigoted, discriminatory cretins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    As far as I'm concerned, you can be racist to anyone!

Everyone has a race, if you can offend or discriminate, you can be racist to them.
    21% are currently mongholes

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can, racism is any race. I understand that some believe that it in't possible to be racist towards White people, because people believe that we haven't had the same oppression. There are many periods in time when white slavery happened, nobody speaks of this. There is also positive discrimination, where white people in some cases are now less likely to get a job over someone of a different race.
    Racism can happen towards any race.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.