Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Apparently it is mostly illegal but many companies use it
    I find it hard to believe private companies illigaully have positive discrimination policies for women/race out of their own free will. You normally have to force them to do things like that. I guess bigger organisations that want to seem modern like large tech/science companies might be concerned with seeming multicultural and balance of gender.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really take you seriously with that milo yiannopoulos pic. Guy seems to think straight white men are oppressed in today's society - utter bs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I find it hard to believe private companies illigaully have positive discrimination policies for women/race out of their own free will. You normally have to force them to do things like that. I guess bigger organisations that want to seem modern like large tech/science companies might be concerned with seeming multicultural and balance of gender.
    I guess social pressure puts unwritten rules upon them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMouseyS)
    Can't really take you seriously with that milo yiannopoulos pic. Guy seems to think straight white men are oppressed in today's society - utter bs!
    I didn't actaully claim that. I said that you can be racist to a white person. Have you even read the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I can see the reasoning behind quotas but I don't think they are always good. I also think, with regards to feminism especially, they miss the point a lot. There are legit reasons why there may be less women in high up places in society than men that are not down to sexism but then tehre are also reaosns why sexism is stopping women from moving upwards as well. Also focusing on getting more women as CEOs whilst ignoring other issues that effect women like benefit cuts (aka The Women Party) miss the point. I'm not really for or against positive discrimination. I'm on the fence.
    What's the reasoning behind quotas?

ReputationRep:
    Why should I be the one with the burden of truth? You were the one who refuted my statement!
    You made the claim so the burden of proof is on you, obviously. If I made a counter-claim (which I didn't) it would shift to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    Gringo isn't actually an offensive term in most parts of the world, it's just a slang word, probably as offensive as calling someone a Yankee or something similar.
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    No, gringo is ok because people don't use it as an offensive term
    Actually, it isn't okay at all. 'Gringo' was originally coined by hispanic people as a racist term for "white person." It's offensive and racist for the exact same reason that "negro" is racist and offensive. The reason why people think it isn't is that it's used far less often, but the number of times a word is used doesn't affect how offensive/racist it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    The fact that the government sought to allow positive action, as an exemption within the Equality Act of 2010, suggests that there is an inherent unwillingness in corporate cultures to diversify, due to fear of upsetting the balance of the workforce, which was based and steeped in irrational thoughts.
    I mean, lets look at international banking. Many banks outsource white workers/european to sort out broken systems in places such as India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    You made the claim so the burden of proof is on you, obviously. If I made a counter-claim (which I didn't) it would shift to me.
    Your implication was that my statement was false, thus your counter claim was made

ReputationRep:
    Your implication was that my statement was false, thus your counter claim was made
    I asked for evidence, the standard response when someone makes a claim like yours.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. My white straight brother is now 30% less likely to get a job than a white straight woman with the same qualifications as him. How on earth can anyone still sit there and claim that white straight men aren't discriminated against when this is the reality of things?

ReputationRep:
    I asked for evidence, the standard response when someone makes a claim like yours.
    You have literally just with that statment implicated it is false!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    They do it because it's cheap and that in itself is endemic of racism. Historically, and I'm sad to note that even today, POC have been valued far "less" than what a white person is valued at.

Hence why we don't really care if a bomb wipes out 4 Yemini's or 25 Nigerians but if anything happens to one of our own, we go ape ****.
    I didn't say that. Besides, they still need industry in the third wrold, and there are many well trained people there. Besides, life is far cheaper abroad.

There was massive outcry over the Syrian bombing?

ReputationRep:
    You have literally just with that statment implicated it is false!
    Do you think it's appropriate to just go around saying whatever comes to mind when you can't provide evidence to support what you say?

There is a reason why you are expected to cite sources when writing an essay. The lecturer marking it is not just going to take whatever you say at face value, Mr Masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    What has milo said that he doesn't have evidence to support?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's appropriate to just go around saying whatever comes to mind when you can't provide evidence to support what you say?

There is a reason why you are expected to cite sources when writing an essay. The lecturer marking it is not just going to take whatever you say at face value, Mr Masters degree.
    I do know how to write an essay, BUT THIS IS A DEBATE!

You implied I was wrong, the burden of proof is thus on you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    And I've explained to you why positive discrimination isn't bad, for the exact same reasons why the forms of discrimination you agree are acceptable aren't bad.
    Choosing people because of their skin colour is wrong and thankfully the UK legal system agrees with me.

People should never be judged by their race. It is something that cannot be chosen such as degree can be. Discriminating against people because of how they were born in wholly wrong. Imagine turning up at a job interview and being turned away because are the wrong colour. You think that is a good thing?

Do me a favour and stick to the right thread.

ReputationRep:
    I do know how to write an essay, BUT THIS IS A DEBATE!

You implied I was wrong, the burden of proof is thus on you!
    And during a debate I can ask you for evidence if you make a claim, which I did. In fact, that was all I did.

ReputationRep:
    And during a debate I can ask you for evidence if you make a claim, which I did. In fact, that was all I did.
    If you ask for evidence you imply it is likely false

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Not at all. My white straight brother is now 30% less likely to get a job than a white straight woman with the same qualifications as him. How on earth can anyone still sit there and claim that white straight men aren't discriminated against when this is the reality of things?
    I didn't say that they weren't discriminated against, I said they weren't oppressed. Positive discrimination makes sense in a society in which straight white men remain highly privileged. I can assure you that in the vast majority professions, your statistic wouldn't hold true...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.