Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a conditional offer to do psychology with neuroscience at Essex and was just wondering if Colchester is a nice and lively place or if it's a bit dull?
    Was also wondering about what's the best accommodation there, especially if i want an en-suite?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    the uni is quite lively but the town isn't really, although there isn't much need to go into the town (At least I haven't found much need)
    Accommodation wise meadows or quays are nice ensuites however are a long walk, south courts are also nice and have ensuites but are much closer. So it depends on your budget and preference on how close you are to campus. The houses aren't very good, at least I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitpostills)
    I've got a conditional offer to do psychology with neuroscience at Essex and was just wondering if Colchester is a nice and lively place or if it's a bit dull?
    Was also wondering about what's the best accommodation there, especially if i want an en-suite?
    Thank you
    Hiya, I'm a final year Psychology student at Essex and personally I enjoy living in Colchester because it can be a fun and lively place, but its not overbearingly loud either. So when I need to concentrate on work I can, and when I want to go out and have fun then I can do that too. I find it a good balance of lively and calm.

If you want an ensuite which is near central campus I would suggest looking into south courts or the houses, and if you dont mind a 10-15 minute walk then I would also suggest the Quays and Meadows. I would really recommend coming along for a visit day so you can come and see the campus and accommodation for yourself!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions you may have!
    ^Sharmila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharmila_Student)
    Hiya, I'm a final year Psychology student at Essex and personally I enjoy living in Colchester because it can be a fun and lively place, but its not overbearingly loud either. So when I need to concentrate on work I can, and when I want to go out and have fun then I can do that too. I find it a good balance of lively and calm.

If you want an ensuite which is near central campus I would suggest looking into south courts or the houses, and if you dont mind a 10-15 minute walk then I would also suggest the Quays and Meadows. I would really recommend coming along for a visit day so you can come and see the campus and accommodation for yourself!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions you may have!
    ^Sharmila
    Thanks for the help! Ive heard a lot of the en-suite accommodation isn't as nice or as lively as those without en-suites, do you think that's true? Also how do you find the psychology department there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitpostills)
    Thanks for the help! Ive heard a lot of the en-suite accommodation isn't as nice or as lively as those without en-suites, do you think that's true? Also how do you find the psychology department there?
    Hello,
    I'm in my second year of my Psychology degree at the University of Essex so thought I would also chip in!
    I think that the en-suite accommodation is as nice as the non en-suite ones. In terms of it being livelier, generally the en-suite accommodations have less people per flat but I wouldn't say it is less lively. I have friends who have stayed in en-suite and non en-suite accommodation and loved them both.
    I really love the Psychology department! The lecturers are great and are all researchers in the field they lecture in so you know you are getting great teaching. The department has 2 large computer labs that only Psychology students are able to access so there are always computers available to use in a quiet space.

I would really recommend the University of Essex. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Natalie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.