was the CMA right to allow the Poundland - 99p takeover? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Thoughts?
    Err yes.

Why would they not be right to?

I mean its not like they could hike up prices extortionately. Its Poundland - unfair prices are literally the opposite of what they're about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Err yes.

Why would they not be right to?

I mean its not like they could hike up prices extortionately. Its Poundland - unfair prices are literally the opposite of what they're about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but they might start selling low quality products for the same price. Since 99p stores is gone, there isn't really anywhere else for consumers with extremely tight budgets to go to.

ReputationRep:
    No, they have such a large market share now, they basically have a monopoly in pound shops. The goods they sell are already low quality, watch how rubbish the products are gonna be now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah but they might start selling low quality products for the same price. Since 99p stores is gone, there isn't really anywhere else for consumers with extremely tight budgets to go to.
    I wouldnt say so tbh. Everything poundland/99p stores sell is sold at tesco and asda for the same or near to the same prices. If poundland starts selling low quality products, you'd just rely on tesco or asda a bit more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say so tbh. Everything poundland/99p stores sell is sold at tesco and asda for the same or near to the same prices. If poundland starts selling low quality products, you'd just rely on tesco or asda a bit more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But people who shop at poundland also do so because of the convenience and easiness of finding cheap goods. At asda, they will have to look harder and spend more time finding £1 goods. Therefore, people will still see poundland as being a more attractive option and thus poundland would have some scarcity power which it can take advantage of by selling lower quality goods.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan of poundland; their stores are well stocked, presentable and their range of brands is impressive. 99p stores never felt as well run although I once saw 3 bottles of 250ml tropicana orange juice for 99p there which ranks as the best deal I've seen in a discount store to date.

ReputationRep:
    I always preferred Poundland over the 99p one anyway

But Home Bargains is sometimes cheaper though so...

ReputationRep:
    I believe they were right to do so, and in fact, it will be beneficial for customers, as they will be able to negotiate better deals with suppliers and so receive better quality items at a cheaper price from buying in bulk due to the sheer size and so provide better quality items for the same price for customers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm broadly supportive given the level of competition that exists in the sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    What? There is loads of different companies that are pound shops not just those two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily. Where else can you get Arm&Hammer toothpaste and Listerine mouthwash for a total of £2? You'd be lucky to get either on its own for that elsewhere!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.