Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Really struggling with this section of the Tsarist Russia course opposition from 1861-1894.

Kind of confused about what the major groups are I know Radical thinkers, Narodniks (populists), Peoples will.

Also I need more information about what the Tsarist authoritys did to suppress these groups in the period 1861-1894.

If someone could provide notes or help me I would appreciate it. Since the textbook is useless at times.

ReputationRep:
    The Peoples Will (populists) were radical thinkers during Alexander II. They believed in a constituition. There were many failings of them like the 7 assassination attempts on the Tsar and the movement 'going to the people' completely failed to rally the peasants against the Tsar. They did have some success in the fact that they successfully killed Alexander but didnt get the constituition they wanted.

They were originally called Land and Liberty but split in 1879 into the peoples will and the black partition though i havent learnt about the latter.

If you need any notes on the peoples will message me because im doing as history right now ans have lots of notes on tsarist russia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caityad)
    The Peoples Will (populists) were radical thinkers during Alexander II. They believed in a constituition. There were many failings of them like the 7 assassination attempts on the Tsar and the movement 'going to the people' completely failed to rally the peasants against the Tsar. They did have some success in the fact that they successfully killed Alexander but didnt get the constituition they wanted.

They were originally called Land and Liberty but split in 1879 into the peoples will and the black partition though i havent learnt about the latter.

If you need any notes on the peoples will message me because im doing as history right now ans have lots of notes on tsarist russia
    No no no. The People's Will are not Populists. The Populists are the narodinks, the group who went to the countryside dressed as peasants and workers to spread their message. The peasants are rather conservative and rejected the narodniks, many of whom were reported to the authorities and arrested. Then the group decided such an approach was not going to work and formed the Land and Liberty group which was quite disorganised and had many divisions; some parts of the group advocated for peaceful demonstrations while others used violence. Because of these divisions, the group split into two as you said; the black partition, the peaceful group, and the populists, the terrorist group. They did NOT believe in a constitution - they sought land redistribution and total annihilation of the regime. They condemned Alexander II to death and killed him successfully in 1881.

Don't get the Populists and the People's Will mixed up, it will cost you marks as they are separate groups.

They used the Third Section (secret police headed by Count Shuvalov) to infiltrate the groups, student organisations and universities. This only started to occur towards the later years though. For most of that period, courts were independent because of the judicial reforms until the case of Vera Zasulich when Alexander II started using military courts to try political prisoners.

If you need anymore help, let me know..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.