Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any news about the postgraduate loan??? Will EU finaly take it? What pappers will be needed in order to be accepted??

ReputationRep:
    No final details have been announced, nor does anyone know when they will be announced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadopoulos)
    Any news about the postgraduate loan??? Will EU finaly take it? What pappers will be needed in order to be accepted??
    There is now some official government info:
    https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Unfortunately it doesn't talk about EU students and the link to find out more goes to a TSR page which doesn't mention the loans.

The Student Loan Company (the back office of Student Finance) has this info for its staff:
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/p...ns-201617.aspx

That page links to this detailed practitioners' document:
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...cy-summary.pdf

That says "Individuals may be eligible if they are an EU national...' but it doesn't say under what circumstances. The word "may" implies any number of loopholes or criteria that we can't guess at before more detail is announced.

ReputationRep:
    Its going to be a total scramble.

And the fall-out from this last minute timetable has the potential to backfire badly Just imagine the consequences from those who start a Masters course and who then get told they wont get funding..... Its going to be utter chaos for both students and the Universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its going to be a total scramble.

And the fall-out from this last minute timetable has the potential to backfire badly Just imagine the consequences from those who start a Masters course and who then get told they wont get funding..... Its going to be utter chaos for both students and the Universities.
    I absolutely agree. It's an end-to-end clusterf*k. Must admit, if I was planning to start a Masters this year and would be reliant on the postgrad loan, I'd seriously consider deferring until next year.

With undergrad SF, it seems that many unis will accept students who can prove that their SF application is progressing normally, but they'll still start asking the student for fee payment towards the end of the first term if it drags on. If they apply that to a Masters, you could be a third of the way through the course and not have paid anything to the uni. But with applications opening so late ("sometime during summer 2016") I can't see that many students will have their postgrad loan in place before the start of the year.

It's not going to be a pretty few months, for students, unis or SF staff.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently advising my finals year students not to even think about applying this year.

This was included as a manifesto postscript with absolutely no University consultation, or even sensible thought, about the practicalities/timeline of its implementation. Its is almost guaranteed to fail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.