Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I swear AS Maths compared to other AS subjects is easy Watch

(Original post by Student403)
    What was the problem with C2? :erm:
    I found the C2 exam difficult last year for some reason too thankfully, the grade boundaries were generous

I think a lot of the questions just looked unfamiliar, but they were simply basic underneath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I found the C2 exam difficult last year for some reason too thankfully, the grade boundaries were generous

I think a lot of the questions just looked unfamiliar, but they were simply basic underneath
    Hmm okay that's fair enough

I did see an unusual amount of complaints last year, but I wasn't sure why. Maybe the question style.

Sucks for the people who learn just off past papers and don't actually take the time to understand it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What was the problem with C2? :erm:
    Some of the questions in it. The last question I remember about the sin and cos graphs which was weird. Overall got 89% UMS still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Some of the questions in it. The last question I remember about the sin and cos graphs which was weird. Overall got 89% UMS still.
    Hm

I don't remember much about it but I was weirded out because so many people were complaining. As I said above, maybe just the question style didn't come across easily to many people
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hm

I don't remember much about it but I was weirded out because so many people were complaining. As I said above, maybe just the question style didn't come across easily to many people
    The last I remember it being something like alpha = some symbol * cos (vita - another symbol) and I'm not sure what the extra weird part was but I think a part had something like putting on the graph where alpha = vita. Again don't remember much but I hated that question, can't really remember the others so much.

ReputationRep:
    I really disagree, maths was even one of my worst at GCSE as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    The last I remember it being something like alpha = some symbol * cos (vita - another symbol) and I'm not sure what the extra weird part was but I think a part had something like putting on the graph where alpha = vita. Again don't remember much but I hated that question, can't really remember the others so much.
    You sure?

These were the last 2 questions

http://puu.sh/nDK1W.png

http://puu.sh/nDK2Q.png

ReputationRep:
    You sure?

You really like your puush, don't you? xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You really like your puush, don't you? xD
    puush is the gamer's best friend

You can share links so easily even when urls are censored in game

e.g.

"p nDK2Q" and everyone understands the p = puu.sh/

ReputationRep:
    puush is the gamer's best friend

You can share links so easily even when urls are censored in game

e.g.

"p nDK2Q" and everyone understands the p = puu.sh/
    I'll need to check it out, I'm using imgur at the moment. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'll need to check it out, I'm using imgur at the moment. :lol:
    Ahh puu.sh is so nice

The keyboard shortcut is lovely too

ReputationRep:
    You sure?

It's been nearly a year and i still have absolutely no idea how to do question 9. It messed me up so badly. I still got an A in C2 but that question confused the hell out of me. I don't know where to start. I think the cost past threw me off.

I'm fine with C3 and C4 now but that C2 question brings back memories lol. How do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason you're finding it easy is because the Traditional Past Papers for each board crop up the same question over and over.

The newer papers being released have changed this though; so don't go to the exam unprepared because you think it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    It's been nearly a year and i still have absolutely no idea how to do question 9. It messed me up so badly. I still got an A in C2 but that question confused the hell out of me. I don't know where to start. I think the cost past threw me off.

I'm fine with C3 and C4 now but that C2 question brings back memories lol. How do you do it?
    Oh I see!

Vol = pi r^2 * h = 75pi

so r^2 * h = 75

So h = 75/r^2

Curved surface area = h * 2pi r = 75/r^2 * 2pi r = 150pi/r

If it costs 2 pounds per cm^2, then just multiply the curved surface area to get 300pi/r

For the top and bottom, it's just pi * r^2 * 3 (cost per cm^2) * 2 (you have a top and bottom)

so add these and voila

for part b it's just normal differentiating = 0 and solving for r. Then plug r in to the C equation

c) you double differentiate and plug your r value in to get a positive which means minimum
    Spoiler:
    Show
    this looks like crap without LaTeX.. Maybe Zain will type a better response - sorry xD

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    this looks like crap without LaTeX.. Maybe Zain will type a better response - sorry xD
    Nah, looks fine, I'll LaTeX it up if she still doesn't understand. xD

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay that's fair enough

I did see an unusual amount of complaints last year, but I wasn't sure why. Maybe the question style.

Sucks for the people who learn just off past papers and don't actually take the time to understand it
    There were a few questions that were more difficult/different than normal, such as a trig question requiring the use of quadratic formula etc that a lot of people didn't like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattismad)
    I think the reason you're finding it easy is because the Traditional Past Papers for each board crop up the same question over and over.

The newer papers being released have changed this though; so don't go to the exam unprepared because you think it's easy.
    They're still going to be mind-numbingly easy and dull papers.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, looks fine, I'll LaTeX it up if she still doesn't understand. xD
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    There were a few questions that were more difficult/different than normal, such as a trig question requiring the use of quadratic formula etc that a lot of people didn't like
    Surely quadratic trig equations are commonplace?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I thought this was practiced a lot in the textbook?

Surely quadratic trig equations are commonplace?
    4/4, is it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.