Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people still vote Conservatives? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not pro-Labour but with the 9k Tuition Fee changes/NHS Junior doctors etc, why the hell are people still voting these douchebags.

Please do not say, the alternatives are even worse. We do not vote by voting the best of the worst. Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InMemoryOf)
    Im not pro-Labour but with the 9k Tuition Fee changes/NHS Junior doctors etc, why the hell are people still voting these douchebags.

Please do not say, the alternatives are even worse. We do not vote by voting the best of the worst. Regards
    9k tution fees pay for the universities and tutors.
    The junior doctors were offered a good deal, and they didn't take it.

Who would you vote in?

ReputationRep:
    They aren't really that bad to be fair. And in a difficult global economy you would rather have someone who is careful with spending than someone who borrows a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees were first brought in by a Labour government....

go figure

ReputationRep:
    The alternative is in fact much better and we will probably see free education again some time in the future. Correct?

About the Junior Doctors changes, any healthcare alternation results in massive opposition from doctors.

It may interest you to know how junior doctors and the BMA reacted when the NHS was introduced:

"Between 1946 and its introduction in 1948, the British Medical Association (BMA), led by Charles Hill, mounted a vigorous campaign against this proposed legislation. In one survey of doctors carried out in 1948, the BMA claimed that only 4,734 doctors out of the 45,148 polled, were in favour of a National Health Service. One doctor was cheered at a BMA meeting for saying that the proposed NHS bill was "strongly suggestive" of what had been going in Nazi Germany."

Source: http://spartacus-educational.com/Lhealth48.htm

So essentially, there was similar opposition when the NHS was introduced. But hey, the BMA always knows best, right?

(Anonymous in case someone knows my profile in real life - this is a controversial point for a medical student to make.)

ReputationRep:
    I think most people do vote for the best of the worst, if there was a clear best then it would be easy for people to know who to vote for, I don't agree with everything the conservatives are doing but I still probably would vote for them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who labor is in the uk But the reason I vote for conservatives america is because our liberals put programs In place to keep the poor stagnant. They kill children. And are racist to black people and have a racist history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    9k tution fees pay for the universities and tutors.
    The junior doctors were offered a good deal, and they didn't take it.

Who would you vote in?
    I am about 3 months away from being a Junior Doctor.

The deal is not good despite how much they make it look.

(Original post by Mayhem™)
    Tuition fees were first brought in by a Labour government....

go figure
    Doesn't mean we should increase the prices then right? Im still on the 3k batch, was the last year but feel for the new people who start Uni.

For example, English - under 15 hours of teaching per week 9k per year for around 200 days of teaching, thats paying almost £300 per hour for attending University

(Original post by N-R-G)
    The alternative is in fact much be ttter and we will probably see free education again some time in the future. Correct?
    You can dream.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    About the Junior Doctors changes, any healthcare alternation results in massive opposition from doctors.

It may interest you to know how junior doctors and the BMA reacted when the NHS was introduced:

"Between 1946 and its introduction in 1948, the British Medical Association (BMA), led by Charles Hill, mounted a vigorous campaign against this proposed legislation. In one survey of doctors carried out in 1948, the BMA claimed that only 4,734 doctors out of the 45,148 polled, were in favour of a National Health Service. One doctor was cheered at a BMA meeting for saying that the proposed NHS bill was "strongly suggestive" of what had been going in Nazi Germany."

Source: http://spartacus-educational.com/Lhealth48.htm

So essentially, there was similar opposition when the NHS was introduced. But hey, the BMA always knows best, right?

(Anonymous in case someone knows my profile in real life - this is a controversial point for a medical student to make.)
    1946 / 1948 - little to no opposition since that time from Doctors. Regardless it isn't what I was asking tbh

ReputationRep:
    Because they don't trust labour to handle the country

ReputationRep:
    I Doctor.

You can dream.

Funny that because I do and its true I do dream of a free education again.

ReputationRep:
    I am about 3 months away from being a Junior Doctor.

The deal is not good despite how much they make it look.
    But is it, besides, the taxpayer pays for the NHS, shouldn't we decide when we can visit the doctor? If we can't have a 24 HR NHS then we would go private and then there would be no NHS money

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean we should increase the prices then right? Im still on the 3k batch, was the last year but feel for the new people who start Uni.
    That's very true, although I feel like you are missing the point here; if it wasn't for the introduction of tuition fees in the first place, then I don't think they would have become a thing under the Conservative government.

Once the Tories came into power, the economic side of education was dependent on tuition fees and it would be difficult to remove them, or even keep them the same (due to something like inflation, for example).

ReputationRep:
    There's no better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    But is it, besides, the taxpayer pays for the NHS, shouldn't we decide when we can visit the doctor? If we can't have a 24 HR NHS then we would go private and then there would be no NHS money
    We already have a 24hour NHS, hospitals don't close on weekends now do they?

That's very true, although I feel like you are missing the point here; if it wasn't for the introduction of tuition fees in the first place, then I don't think they would have become a thing under the Conservative government.

Once the Tories came into power, the economic side of education was dependent on tuition fees and it would be difficult to remove them, or even keep them the same (due to something like inflation, for example).
    Hardly an assumption to make, 'well lets blame labour for introducing it in the first place because if they hadn't, we wouldn't if increased it!'

ReputationRep:
    We already have a 24hour NHS, hospitals don't close on weekends now do they?
    That's something they have argued against

ReputationRep:
    Hardly an assumption to make, 'well lets blame labour for introducing it in the first place because if they hadn't, we wouldn't if increased it!'
    But it's true, you can think what you want, but tuition fees weren't necessary when first introduced so we can only 'blame' who started the trend.

ReputationRep:
    That's something they have argued against
    No offence to you but it really annoys me to see non-medical professionals think they know more about the NHS and what generally best for patients. This is what low-life Jeremy Hunt and co are feeding on, his not even a medical himself!

I would recommend you research your facts and read the arguments on both side as you do not seem aware of both sides.

ReputationRep:
    But it's true, you can think what you want, but tuition fees weren't necessary when first introduced so we can only 'blame' who started the trend.
    Lets blame the first rapist ever in the world for all the other rapes that occur today.

Stupid - yeah thats what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    No offence to you but it really annoys me to see non-medical professionals think they know more about the NHS and what generally best for patients. This is what low-life Jeremy Hunt and co are feeding on, his not even a medical himself!

I would recommend you research your facts and read the arguments on both side as you do not seem aware of both sides.
    I am not a medcial proffesional correct. My sister is a consultant. She claims that junior doctors are just trying to get more money than they deserve.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.