Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to take Creative Writing with English at BCU - anybody know if their English department is any good? I've heard very mixed reviews. If anyone has any personal experience with the English department there, what do you think of it? And what do you think of the overall Uni in general?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Swelll)
    I'm applying to take Creative Writing with English at BCU - anybody know if their English department is any good? I've heard very mixed reviews. If anyone has any personal experience with the English department there, what do you think of it? And what do you think of the overall Uni in general?
    Hey there!

I recently graduated from BCU and had a great experience. Staff are really helpful and the facilities are great. I enjoyed it so much that I stayed in Birmingham and now work at the uni!

I didn't study at the School of English myself, but I'm always hearing about what a great tight knit community they have, and they've just moved to brand new building this year on our city centre campus.

Jan Barker is a current student at the School of English and said...
    "I love being part of this creative and collaborative community, finding the freedom and confidence to write, improve and try new ideas within the framework provided by the excellent teaching and support staff at the School of English."
    If you would like to be put in touch directly with a student on this course, just drop a line on here to let me know and I'll try and arrange for it so that you can hear about their experience.

All the best

Lydia (BCU)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lyda could I please talk to one of the current students from school of English. I would like to know about the English with creative writing course if we can write a book and if the uni will publish it for us.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by miath)
    Hi Lyda could I please talk to one of the current students from school of English. I would like to know about the English with creative writing course if we can write a book and if the uni will publish it for us.
    Hey miath,

I'm not sure about getting a book published but each year the school publishes an anthology of a collection of students work, which they're actually presenting tonight at their Creative Writing Summer Show - so if you're local you should try to come along: http://bcu.ac.uk/inspired/calendar/e...grad-show-2017

I'll see if there are any English students around who would be able to speak to you about the course, they've mostly finished for summer but I'll see what I can do! If you have any questions I can answer in the meantime, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Lydia
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Miath,

As a BCU School of English graduate I can tell you that the anthology Lydia has mentioned is the best and only opportunity to have your work published while studying. This is pretty standard across most undergraduate English courses, but there may be help and guidance on self-publishing that you can access while studying.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Nicola

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2017

University open days

1. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.