Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This current year I have been studying a "Film" foundation course at the Uni of Central Lancashire. I say "Film" but its a wide range of classes, just the film class is the one we don't get to pick, I also picked photography, AV Tech and some other classes.
    However, by this Wednesday I have to fill in a form that decided what I want to do for the next 3 years, either film or photography. If I could I would do both, I feel they both have their perks and negatives.
    Photography because its more focuses on camera work, which is what I want to do.
    And Film because it covers actual cinematography within the course.

I do not 100% want to be a cinematographer, I just want to work with cameras in general in a creative way, I would love to intern with Disney when I graduate to work abroad for a few years.

My mum is really trying to push me to do Film because in her words "there are no jobs in photography, the pay isnt great and your limiting yourself" Which to an extent is true, however I think I would enjoy the photography course much more, there's a load of stuff in Film that I have to do that I hate, like analysis and the fact that everyone else in my film class are REALLY into films and list off name of directors and actors that I have never even heard of and have no real interest in hearing of, because its not the part of film making that interests me.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

ReputationRep:
    you don't need a specific degree to be a cinematographer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    you don't need a specific degree to be a cinematographer
    Yes but surely one must look better to companies than others, I don't want to limit my job potentials by doing a photography degree if you get me, in case I graduate and decide not to do cinematography.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.