Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Jeremy Corbyn going to win the next election watch

• View Poll Results: Will You Be voting for Corbyn in the next election?
    Yes
    24.04%
    No
    75.96%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I swear, laughing is so infectious! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    I just wondered how this would pan out amongst the TSR peeps. I personally will be voting Labour.
    At this stage i see little evidence of an inflationary shock or rapid rise in unemployment on the horizon and therefore i think there's a greater than 50% chance that the Tories will increase their majority at this stage. Corbyn has too much baggage, is too extreme and is simply not likable enough to find away around the aforementioned.

That being said i respect Labour enough to believe that they'll knife Corbyn during the summer of 2017. Having lost ~1500 council seats over 2 years and gone backward in Wales and Scotland (plus there's no redeeming London election in 2017) i don't believe people will just sit back and wait for death safe in the knowledge that their purity is intact.

Consider how badly election 2020 could be for a second. In Wales there are 4 seats in the north east where Labour have a majority of no more than 3200, to loose Wrexham (their traditional heartland type seat) will be embarrassing. In West Yorkshire both Halifax and Wakefield are less than a 2% swing from going blue for the first time in a century.

Brown and Miliband (though to be fair he simply never repaired the damage) have bled so many votes that the type of seats that Labour should have won with their eyes closed are now within touching distance for the Tories. Labour have bled support and so far Corbyn seems to lack any real plan to stop it. In May alone he'll lose more than 500 council seats to the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't think he will. He seems like a great guy who sticks to his principles, but honestly, I don't think enough people take him seriously for him to win. He doesn't seem like a 'leader' figure. As much as I dislike Cameron and I'm not a supporter of the Tories, Cameron does have that 'pulling power'. He knows what to say and how to say it - he's a PR man first and foremost. Besides, I don't think this country is radical enough to actually elect Corbyn. They might have toyed with the idea when they voted for him as leader, but I think PM is another thing entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    At this stage i see little evidence of an inflationary shock or rapid rise in unemployment on the horizon and therefore i think there's a greater than 50% chance that the Tories will increase their majority at this stage. Corbyn has too much baggage, is too extreme and is simply not likable enough to find away around the aforementioned.

That being said i respect Labour enough to believe that they'll knife Corbyn during the summer of 2017. Having lost ~1500 council seats over 2 years and gone backward in Wales and Scotland (plus there's no redeeming London election in 2017) i don't believe people will just sit back and wait for death safe in the knowledge that their purity is intact.

Consider how badly election 2020 could be for a second. In Wales there are 4 seats in the north east where Labour have a majority of no more than 3200, to loose Wrexham (their traditional heartland type seat) will be embarrassing. In West Yorkshire both Halifax and Wakefield are less than a 2% swing from going blue for the first time in a century.

Brown and Miliband (though to be fair he simply never repaired the damage) have bled so many votes that the type of seats that Labour should have won with their eyes closed are now within touching distance for the Tories. Labour have bled support and so far Corbyn seems to lack any real plan to stop it. In May alone he'll lose more than 500 council seats to the Tories.

Maybe one day they'll realise all this blood letting is bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips;[url="tel:63346867")
    63346867[/url]]Yes he would be great just going against British citizens and giving their land to Argentina while taking holidays to visit with terrorists
    Reflect on the fact that the days of overseas territories are drawing to a close and the Queen is glad handing terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely bearing in mind, a lot of his own party is against him, he is not politically astute in fending off trap question, the full mite of the Tory press is against him and if that doesn't work the establishment will probablaby have him covertly assinated. In his favour he is a conviction politician putting forward a clear alternative. This just might have some merit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    I just wondered how this would pan out amongst the TSR peeps. I personally will be voting Labour.
    Will labour win in 2020?

Not a cat in hells chance unless a recession hits before that date.

Zero

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bloody hope so!!!!

But in all honesty most of Labour's safe seat were taken in Scotland by SNP, and until the SNP loose their stronghold then it will be very difficult for Labour to get into power, regardless of their leader. I think he could perhaps become PM, but in reality he is a bit too far 'left' for the general population. If it were up to the student population however, I think he would do. Very popular with the young people which is promising, hopefully sometime in the future we will have another Labour government (prays)

ReputationRep:
    I bet he'll be gone by the end of next year - 2018 will be two years before the next general election, and things done in that year will still be in people's minds when it comes to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he will, considering the current political climate. Saying that, a lot can change in 4 years, and hopefully the Tories do something to piss off the general public.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It would be nice if titles and questions matched up a little more often

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Reflect on the fact that the days of overseas territories are drawing to a close and the Queen is glad handing terrorists.
    In general it is but do the residents on the island not get a chance whether they remain a overseas territory or not or do we ignore their rights and give them to Argentina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips;[url="tel:63354867")
    63354867[/url]]In general it is but do the residents on the island not get a chance whether they remain a overseas territory or not or do we ignore their rights and give them to Argentina?
    You do a deal just like Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    So the residents get no say over their future it is pretty conclusive they do not want to be part of Argentina 99.8% voted to "retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?" so why should we go against the people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips;[url="tel:63355523")
    63355523[/url]]So the residents get no say over their future it is pretty conclusive they do not want to be part of Argentina 99.8% voted to "retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?" so why should we go against the people?
    Because the days of procuring land thousands of miles from your county are at a conclusion. And think laterally, you negotiate, you have dual nationality, you offer incentives, you phase things in and you evolve to the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Regardless of who's the Labour leader, I'm not convinced the party can win at all while the SNP is taking the entire Scottish vote.

Until the Scottish situation changes, I don't think Labour can win any general election.
    sums it up

A Labour Leader with little appeal to the undecided plus the Scottish expressing their dismay ed miliband's Labour by voting SNP .. .

current labout shadow chancellor;s commitment to lving within their means means the SNP delusion will continue unabated .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Because the days of procuring land thousands of miles from your county are at a conclusion. And think laterally, you negotiate, you have dual nationality, you offer incentives, you phase things in and you evolve to the right thing.
    Should we ignore the people and make Scotland independent because a few politicians are crying over it? How about encourage Ukraine to give up territory to the Russians?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Why should such days end? Especially when the people affected by it don't want them to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    So basically what the people want doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Poor comparison. Hong Kong was declared ours for a set amount of time from the beginning as the terms in a treaty.

There is no such agreement with the Falklands and even if there had been the Argentinians would have broken the terms with their 1982 invasion.

And anyway, they're an independent overseas territory. They administer themselves. Therefore they're the ones responsible for their own destiny. We have no right to decide for them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.