Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Jeremy Corbyn going to win the next election Watch

• View Poll Results: Will You Be voting for Corbyn in the next election?
    Yes
    24.04%
    No
    75.96%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly E.)
    Britain's claim is just as good as Argentina's. The only reason that we still have the Falkland's is that at the time (1833) we had a bigger army and navy. You can't claim that we had a legitimate claim to take them in the first place. The only claim wwe have on the falklands is the fact that we have populated it and therfor the people want to remain British
    The Falklands has been British since before Argentina even existed as a country.

Besides, the guy claims to be a man of the people. The people of the Falklands want to remain under British rule. Why do you want to deny the people want they want? Face it, only social justice warriors who hate Britain support giving away the Falklands to Argentina and this nonsense about being of the people and "fairness" is just sanctimonious guff like everything else these types come out with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Because the days of procuring land thousands of miles from your county are at a conclusion. And think laterally, you negotiate, you have dual nationality, you offer incentives, you phase things in and you evolve to the right thing.
    Why the hell would anyone want to be under Argentinian rule or have anything to do with Argentina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom;[url="tel:63357469")
    63357469[/url]]Why the hell would anyone want to be under Argentinian rule or have anything to do with Argentina?
    Must say I don't know the history. Probably deserves a bit of research. But why the hell would anyone want to live in the middle of nowhere so far From the nation they have allegiance to and with terrible Argentinians as next door neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Must say I don't know the history. Probably deserves a bit of research. But why the hell would any want to live in the middle of nowhere so far From the nation they have allegiance to and with terrible Argentinians as next door neighbours.
    Because that's their home, that's where they were born, that's where they live, that's where they make their living. Why should they leave?

Argentina is over 200 miles away and utterly irrelevant to their everyday lives.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think he has a chance. not many people are going to vote for an extremist who has 3 Es at A-level (doesn't even know how the economy works) and who has voted against his own party 500 times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    i don't think he has a chance. not many people are going to vote for an extremist who has 3 Es at A-level (doesn't even know how the economy works) and who has voted against his own party 500 times.
    But are all these facts known to Joanna and Michael?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    But are all these facts known to Joanna and Michael?
    what?

ReputationRep:
    what?
    "Joanna and Michael" is my term for the average person are they likely to know about his stupid extremist views, crappy results, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty obvious that he won't win if on TSR, which probably has a much higher density of corbynites/lefties than the general population, he still get's about a third of the vote on the poll.

ReputationRep:
    "Joanna and Michael" is my term for the average person are they likely to know about his stupid extremist views, crappy results, etc.?
    I am sure that the other parties' campaigns in 2020 will focus on how extreme Jeremy Corbyn is and how unqualified he is for the job. How is anyone supposed to vote for someone without knowing their views? People will want to know his stance on issues like immigration, defense and welfare, among other things, and they will realise that he does not share the views of the majority of British people.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that the other parties' campaigns in 2020 will focus on how extreme Jeremy Corbyn is and how unqualified he is for the job. How is anyone supposed to vote for someone without knowing their views? People will want to know his stance on issues like immigration, defense and welfare, among other things, and they will realise that he does not share the views of the majority of British people.
    All true, and it's for those reasons I think Corbyn will be ousted before 2018, so Labour has two years to apear credible again.

ReputationRep:
    All true, and it's for those reasons I think Corbyn will be ousted before 2018, so Labour has two years to apear credible again.
    Definitely. I think he's unlikely to make it as far as 2020- Labour knows that he is unelectable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski;[url="tel:63357701")
    63357701[/url]]Because that's their home, that's where they were born, that's where they live, that's where they make their living. Why should they leave?

Argentina is over 200 miles away and utterly irrelevant to their everyday lives.
    Don't imagine in any change they would need to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I just hate the conservatives. Cameron needs should be a butcher instead so he can **** pigs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Don't imagine in any change they would need to leave.
    You plan to impose new leadership on them that they don't want, that they've emphatically voted against several times and to generally ignore them. Why would they want to stay in a place where they're not listened to? You're denying them their core human right of self determination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski;[url="tel:63358397")
    63358397[/url]]You plan to impose new leadership on them that they don't want, that they've emphatically voted against several times and to generally ignore them. Why would they want to stay in a place where they're not listened to? You're denying them their core human right of self determination.
    Maybe read a bit of history and don't view everything in a completely simplistic way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Maybe read a bit of history and don't view everything in a completely simplistic way.
    It's you who needs to read up on the history of the Falklands to understand why the islanders cannot be taken out of the equation and why Corbyn's view is just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It's not obvious Corbyn is even interested in winning.

If he were he would not pick fights on issues like nuclear weapons, the Falklands, and the monarchy on which most people disagree with him but on which most people would not closely consider his views had he not deliberately chosen to drawn attention to them.

Corbyn wants a soapbox to say the things he has been wanting to say, and be heard, for thirty of forty years. He isn't acting as if he has any serious plan to win an election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's you who needs to read up on the history of the Falklands to understand why the islanders cannot be taken out of the equation and why Corbyn's view is just wrong.
    I think you are wrong on the narrow question of the islanders' opinions being very important.

The fact is we have forced a number of colonies out of the British Empire against their will, including Hong Kong and Malta, and possibly including Malaya, Singapore and Cyprus. We were trying to give the Falklands to Argentina, in knowledge that the residents didn't want that, in the 70s and early 80s, on grounds that they were worthless and expensive to defend. Our policy did not change because of the opinion of the islanders, it changed because the Falklands War turned possession of the Falklands into a point of honour. The referendum was simply a propaganda act, which is not to say it was a bad idea.

He is wrong in so far as Argentina's claim to the Falklands is morally laughable and militarily unenforceable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly E.)
    Britain's claim is just as good as Argentina's. The only reason that we still have the Falkland's is that at the time (1833) we had a bigger army and navy. You can't claim that we had a legitimate claim to take them in the first place. The only claim wwe have on the falklands is the fact that we have populated it and therfor the people want to remain British
    That is exactly the same claim Argentina has to Argentina. Argentina is a transplant settler colony of Italians and Spaniards.

If you consider actual possession to be irrelevant, the Falklands might just as well lay a claim to Argentina as the other way around.

If you respond along the lines that that's absurd because Argentina is stronger than the Falklands, well, Britain is stronger than Argentina.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.