Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Jeremy Corbyn going to win the next election Watch

• View Poll Results: Will You Be voting for Corbyn in the next election?
    Yes
    24.04%
    No
    75.96%

ReputationRep:
    At first, not many people thought he would ever win the leadership election, and he only got on at the last minute because some MPs nominated him because they wanted a debate of some sort within the party. It certainly seems unlikely for him to win the next election, but it is possible and it depends on what the Conservative party does between now and the next election. Some of the people ridiculing the prospect of a Corbyn victory should note that he massively exceeded expectations by winning the leadership with a large majority in the first round of voting.

ReputationRep:
    Asking a question in that fashion as the title of the thread, and then completley changing the question for the poll. Why?

I don't think he will win. The general public won't vote for him. Would I vote for him? Sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    At first, not many people thought he would ever win the leadership election, and he only got on at the last minute because some MPs nominated him because they wanted a debate of some sort within the party. It certainly seems unlikely for him to win the next election, but it is possible and it depends on what the Conservative party does between now and the next election. Some of the people ridiculing the prospect of a Corbyn victory should note that he massively exceeded expectations by winning the leadership with a large majority in the first round of voting.
    He won an election with votes from hardcore and primarily very left Labour members. But there's an awful lot of people in the country who aren't very left Labour members to whom he doesn't hold much appeal.

There's also the fact that, currently, Labour can't appeal to Scottish voters (and that's nothing to do with Corbyn). Without Scotland voting for them rather than the SNP, Labour can't win a General Election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    The Falklands has been British since before Argentina even existed as a country. The people of the Falklands want to remain under British rule. Why do you want to deny the people want they want?
    I'm not saying we should give the Falklands to Argentina, just that their is more to the story than what was (and is) portrayed in mainstream media.

Besides, the guy claims to be a man of the people.Face it, only social justice warriors who hate Britain support giving away the Falklands to Argentina and this nonsense about being of the people and "fairness" is just sanctimonious guff like everything else these types come out with.
    Personally, I can identify more with Jeremy Corbyn than I can with all the other well known politicians. Like most politicians he was privately educated, but he seems able to stay in touch with what people need. Unlike the Tories and their new 'bedroom tax' which is disproportionately effecting disabled or at-risk families. As such, most of Corbyn's policies are fairer than the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly E.)
    I'm not saying we should give the Falklands to Argentina, just that their is more to the story than what was (and is) portrayed in mainstream media.
    Except there isn't really.

Argentina's claim is based on nothing more than proximity, which ultimately means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllyJelly)
    No. I don't think he will. He seems like a great guy who sticks to his principles, but honestly, I don't think enough people take him seriously for him to win. He doesn't seem like a 'leader' figure. As much as I dislike Cameron and I'm not a supporter of the Tories, Cameron does have that 'pulling power'. He knows what to say and how to say it - he's a PR man first and foremost. Besides, I don't think this country is radical enough to actually elect Corbyn. They might have toyed with the idea when they voted for him as leader, but I think PM is another thing entirely.
    Why is he a great guy? And how has he stuck to his principles?
    Seriously where has this much repeated notion come from?
    His sympathies for the IRA and Hamas indicate he's not a great guy, while the fact that he's now toned down, recanted or flip-flopped on numerous policies and beliefs disqualify him from being principled.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Yes he would be great just going against British citizens and giving their land to Argentina while taking holidays to visit with terrorists
    The definition of hysteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    The definition of hysteria.
    exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement.

Has he not been on a holiday funded by a organisation the USA says funds terrorism?
    Has he not said he wants Argentina to have power over the Falklands?

How is using his actions to show why he shouldn't be pm hysteria?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement.

Has he not been on a holiday funded by a organisation the USA says funds terrorism?
    Has he not said he wants Argentina to have power over the Falklands?

How is using his actions to show why he shouldn't be pm hysteria?
    I do not remember anything to do with him being on a holiday funded by a 'terrorist' organisation. I doubt that happened.
    The refusal of many to attempt to understand 'extreme' ideologies such as the paramilitaries of the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah, simply condemns us to bad politics and leads to bigotry.
    IS is not the same story however; it is in a far worse form since they make themselves near impossible to understand or reason with.

Corbyn's an anti-imperialist. He stated he wanted to improve relations with Argentina by giving them a say in the Falklands and possibly a power-sharing initiative as was struck up with the Irish in the Good Friday Agreement.

ReputationRep:
    I do not remember anything to do with him being on a holiday funded by a 'terrorist' organisation. I doubt that happened.
    The refusal of many to attempt to understand 'extreme' ideologies such as the paramilitaries of the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah, simply condemns us to bad politics and leads to bigotry.
    IS is not the same story however; it is in a far worse form since they make themselves near impossible to understand or reason with.

Corbyn's an anti-imperialist. He stated he wanted to improve relations with Argentina by giving them a say in the Falklands and possibly a power-sharing initiative as was struck up with the Irish in the Good Friday Agreement.
    February 2013 funded by interpal and are part of the funding network of Hamas and as a terrorist organisation in its own right.

But the falklanders don't want that if Ireland wanted a say in how Wales were run would we give them that? How about France with England?

ReputationRep:

I think most people understand the ideology of the IRA and Hamas, even ISIS. We know what they want and why they do what they do, we simply disagree with the ideology.

The hypocritical clown Corbyn wants to give Argentina power over foreign people against their will. That is itself imperialism. He's not really anti-imperialist, like how he's not really a pacifist, he's simply that stereotype of the left-wing person that automatically adopts the contrarian 'anti-British' position when it comes to foreign policy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    February 2013 funded by interpal and are part of the funding network of Hamas and as a terrorist organisation in its own right.

But the falklanders don't want that if Ireland wanted a say in how Wales were run would we give them that? How about France with England?
    This is more like giving power to Spain in having a say in how Gibraltar's run.
    I understand your logic though. I'm just not too fussed about a small island thousands of miles away.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I think most people understand the ideology of the IRA and Hamas, even ISIS. We know what they want and why they do what they do, we simply disagree with the ideology.

The hypocritical clown Corbyn wants to give Argentina power over foreign people against their will. That is itself imperialism. He's not really anti-imperialist, like how he's not really a pacifist, he's simply that stereotype of the left-wing person that automatically adopts the contrarian 'anti-British' position when it comes to foreign policy.
    He is really a pacifist - this is just media hysteria talking.

ReputationRep:
    He is really a pacifist - this is just media hysteria talking.
    He sympathises with numerous paramilitary organisations, which most certainly is not compatible with pacifism.
    'Media hysteria' has nothing to do with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    He sympathises with numerous paramilitary organisations, which most certainly is not compatible with pacifism.
    'Media hysteria' has nothing to do with that.
    Loads of people disagree with him. Therefore it must be a media conspiracy to spread hysteria among the braindead masses.....

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people disagree with him. Therefore it must be a media conspiracy to spread hysteria among the braindead masses.....
    That does appear to be the stock left-wing retort, in a nutshell. Apparently if they're condescending enough we'll all change our minds and see the light.

ReputationRep:
    Whether you support Corbyn or not, there's still only one correct answer to that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    He won an election with votes from hardcore and primarily very left Labour members. But there's an awful lot of people in the country who aren't very left Labour members to whom he doesn't hold much appeal.

There's also the fact that, currently, Labour can't appeal to Scottish voters (and that's nothing to do with Corbyn). Without Scotland voting for them rather than the SNP, Labour can't win a General Election.
    If he can't even win over his own party, how is he going to win over the country?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.