Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo_elheramy)
    I wish my school offered general studies :sigh: I'm also predicted 4A* (Bio, chem, maths, phy) and A* EPQ, so 252 but with general studies could've possibly been 308. I still think 11 A* predictions is crazy though
    The fact that general studies actually gives a tangible benefit for a really competitive course at a high-ranking uni amuses me so much

(Original post by Gogregg)
    My UCAS points are the same!
    Exact same subjects, also :lol:

My UKCAT is very high, also (787 Band 1), so I may have been a bit OTT with signing up for General Studies also
    Woooo! Even computer science? Haven't seen many other people that have done that and are going for medicine

(Original post by svenderman)
    Guys, maybe you should put on a side the arrogance of thinking that everyone does A levels. When you study the IB you automatically undertake 6 subjects (+ a compulsory philosophical subject) which boost your Tariff
    I don't know how IBs work and i don't plan to learn it anytime soon, I'm just saying a very high ucas tariff (282) isn't THAT difficult to be predicted (achieving it is a different matter of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    The fact that general studies actually gives a tangible benefit for a really competitive course at a high-ranking uni amuses me so much

Woooo! Even computer science? Haven't seen many other people that have done that and are going for medicine
    I know right! :lol:
    It seems a bit unfair, but I guess if they think it selects the best candidates, who am I to complain?

Ah, not the CompSci AS, I took FMaths at AS instead
    I missed that part :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I know right! :lol:
    It seems a bit unfair, but I guess if they think it selects the best candidates, who am I to complain?

Ah, not the CompSci AS, I took FMaths at AS instead
    I missed that part :lol:
    Aha fair enough. Our school offered FMaths as an extra in addition to maths (so at AS you would do 5 ASs) and i enjoy maths but i didn't think it was worth it (and from what everyone else said, I avoided a lot of stress )

ReputationRep:
    Seeing everyone in this forum talk about the fact that people who have tons of qualifications and better opportunities and therefore a very high UCAS tariff makes me realise I haven't got a chance of an interview offer here...

ReputationRep:
    Aha fair enough. Our school offered FMaths as an extra in addition to maths (so at AS you would do 5 ASs) and i enjoy maths but i didn't think it was worth it (and from what everyone else said, I avoided a lot of stress )
    I loved FMaths so much, though! I sort of wish I continued with it as well :lol:

I was actually going to do 5 (Physics as well) but I dropped Physics before Christmas since my teachers were absolutely awful, not to mention the content was boring

I did actually take GCSE Computer Science, which was fun, but I feel it was fun because it descended into playing half-life every lesson halfway through year 11!

ReputationRep:
    I loved FMaths so much, though! I sort of wish I continued with it as well :lol:

I was actually going to do 5 (Physics as well) but I dropped Physics before Christmas since my teachers were absolutely awful, not to mention the content was boring

I did actually take GCSE Computer Science, which was fun, but I feel it was fun because it descended into playing half-life every lesson halfway through year 11!
    Yeah for us it was always Unreal Tournament lol. There wasn't any coursework at AS though so i actually had to learn a fair bit and found it pretty interesting tbh, might try and talk about it at interviews because i didn't mention it on my PS (really don't know how i'll go about it though, maybe it development my logical reasoning and problem solving skills? )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for us it was always Unreal Tournament lol. There wasn't any coursework at AS though so i actually had to learn a fair bit and found it pretty interesting tbh, might try and talk about it at interviews because i didn't mention it on my PS (really don't know how i'll go about it though, maybe it development my logical reasoning and problem solving skills? )
    In my school now, there's a flash version of Smash Bros (SSF2) that we play a lot :lol:

Was there not? That was the best part about the GCSE! I think it's a good idea to mention it if it's ever relevant to the question at interview, since CompSci definitely has a large grounding in logic, and heck, trying to discover whats wrong with code requires a massive amount of patience and problem solving skills! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKAsamuel)
    I'm obviously not an expert but they're really good stats (better than mine) you should have one I'm guessing!
    Thank you very much! The waiting game is the worst, has me second guessing everything! I'm sure you'll do great too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svenderman)
    Guys, maybe you should put on a side the arrogance of thinking that everyone does A levels. When you study the IB you automatically undertake 6 subjects (+ a compulsory philosophical subject) which boost your Tariff
    A lot of people do IB, chill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hjokifk30)
    Hey, am a current student (1st year medic) at Barts. If anyone wants help with interviews just ask
    How well do you really have to know the article? Do they expect you to research into some of the subtopics? Do they test your knowledge on the topic or your ability to apply certain principles?

ReputationRep:
    I know threads like this are always full of people posting their stats but I'm just going to hop on the bandwagon anyway as not sure how mine fit in as I haven't received interview yet:
    6A*s, 5As and 2 Bs GCSE
    AAAB at AS
    3A* prediction
    A prediction for EPQ
    690 average UKCAT
    (Don't have any official music/sport qualifications to boost UCAS points🙃)

Also, do interview offers come through email?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c10112)
    I know threads like this are always full of people posting their stats but I'm just going to hop on the bandwagon anyway as not sure how mine fit in as I haven't received interview yet:
    6A*s, 5As and 2 Bs GCSE
    AAAB at AS
    3A* prediction
    A prediction for EPQ
    690 average UKCAT
    (Don't have any official music/sport qualifications to boost UCAS points🙃)

Also, do interview offers come through email?
    Don't worry, interviews won't be sent out until late December/early January

And yeah, interviews should come through on email (They may ask to look at their application portal thing?). I doubt they'll be updated for UCAS Track, though

Your profile is very good though, so well done on that

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what last year's ratio of interviews to offers was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1234)
    Does anyone know what last year's ratio of interviews to offers was?
    55% of those interviewed got an offer

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, interviews won't be sent out until late December/early January

And yeah, interviews should come through on email (They may ask to look at their application portal thing?). I doubt they'll be updated for UCAS Track, though

Your profile is very good though, so well done on that
    Awesome, thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    55% of those interviewed got an offer
    How does that compare with stats from other uni's?

ReputationRep:
    it's alright I think. not quite like manchester's 66% but not too bad

ReputationRep:
    It's about standard tbh. Low is like <48%, mid is like 49-58% and high is anything else really (although they're all pretty close anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I assume that people would say, but just in case... has anyone heard back from the Barts regarding interview/rejection?

I was looking through the discussion on TSR from last year and applicants were invited for interviews starting around 12th December as far as I could tell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtScience)
    I assume that people would say, but just in case... has anyone heard back from the Barts regarding interview/rejection?

I was looking through the discussion on TSR from last year and applicants were invited for interviews starting around 12th December as far as I could tell...
    I think they'll start replying around/after Christmas time, from what I've gathered

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.