Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantego)
    This is my third time applying to medicine and I'm finding a lot of people are being kind of unreasonable. Of course the interview process is a stressful and anxious one but shouldn't we be giving the admissions office a bit more breathing room? Technically they have till march to tell us and are not obligated to inform people today or any other day in particular for an interview. I understand people are frustrated at not hearing back on the day they were told but come on, they have to go through thousands of applications and I'm sure they just had a few hiccups. it's better for them to do what they need to do to screen applicants properly and fairly. I'm not saying Barts has been particularly organised (they haven't). But for everyone to be calling them just makes the situation worse? Believe me I completely empathise with the frustration, I once only heard about an interview in March. But you shouldn't be getting Angry at them for not doing their jobs quick enough, like I said they have till march

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I totally understand what you are saying. However I, personally, am not upset about the wait even though it sucks. We all knew about it when we applied. The problem is the fact that they are giving different answers to people which just makes the process really horrible for the candidate as no one knows what is true or not.

ReputationRep:
    This is my third time applying to medicine and I'm finding a lot of people are being kind of unreasonable. Of course the interview process is a stressful and anxious one but shouldn't we be giving the admissions office a bit more breathing room? Technically they have till march to tell us and are not obligated to inform people today or any other day in particular for an interview. I understand people are frustrated at not hearing back on the day they were told but come on, they have to go through thousands of applications and I'm sure they just had a few hiccups. it's better for them to do what they need to do to screen applicants properly and fairly. I'm not saying Barts has been particularly organised (they haven't). But for everyone to be calling them just makes the situation worse? Believe me I completely empathise with the frustration, I once only heard about an interview in March. But you shouldn't be getting Angry at them for not doing their jobs quick enough, like I said they have till march

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No what people are getting angry at is different people getting told different things which stresses them out because they're not sure about the truth.

We were told that most interviews would be released after New Years
    We were then told most interviews had been released
    We were then told we were all going to get rejected
    We were then told that a small number of us would get offers but only today
    We were then assured that there were a large number of interviews left but only today
    We were then told that they haven't gotten round to all applications yet...
    We are now again being reassured we all find out today.

Can you see how this process could potentially be a tiny bit vexing?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the time of the wait is not the issue, but they shouldn't tell people that most or all of the invitations have gone out, and then somebody else from the same office says they are still working on them, because obviously it will confuse and worry applicants, and they should be aware of that. After all, they go through the same process every year. Haven't had any such problems with the other unis, but of course my experience is limited.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe some of the information given out was misinterpreted by you guys... Also complaining about the wait isn't going to change anything in fact calling admissions will just make the process even longer. Stuff happens. We don't exactly know what's going on in admissions rn. Maybe there's a bug and only a few staff are left MANUALLY going through applications. Maybe there's an IT issue. I think we all need to just chill

P.S. the real world can be a bit like this problem we're having here (vexing) so just treat it as a learning point x GOOD LUCK and have a great day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealLifeEducator)
    Maybe some of the information given out was misinterpreted by you guys... Also complaining about the wait isn't going to change anything in fact calling admissions will just make the process even longer. Stuff happens. We don't exactly know what's going on in admissions rn. Maybe there's a bug and only a few staff are left MANUALLY going through applications. Maybe there's an IT issue. I think we all need to just chill

P.S. the real world can be a bit like this problem we're having here (vexing) so just treat it as a learning point x GOOD LUCK and have a great day

Who's complaining about the wait? Literally no one is complaining about the wait.

Oh my god?! The real world can be vexing!? Thank you for teaching me, I had no idea before you opened my eyes so gracefully.

Why are you defending a system that's in shambles, spouting out misinformation to hundreds of anxious students who have spent the day refreshing their phones today. If there's a bug they need to communicate that. They can't say that somethings going to happen, and then suddenly change their mind without warning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karmaic)
    Who's complaining about the wait? Literally no one is complaining about the wait.

Oh my god?! The real world can be vexing!? Thank you for teaching me, I had no idea before you opened my eyes so gracefully.

Why are you defending a system that's in shambles, spouting out misinformation to hundreds of anxious students who have spent the day refreshing their phones today. If there's a bug they need to communicate that. They can't say that somethings going to happen, and then suddenly change their mind without warning.
    The system is "in shambles" ? 😂They made organisational mistakes, it's not like they accidently rejected people or something. Everyone spoke to different people at admissions and they had conflicting information. (Which I know is crappy but also could've been helped by people just letting them get on with it) And I'm sorry to burst your bubble but they can absolutely change their mind without warning. They're a medical school, they need to get through applications properly, not work to everyone's individual wishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do they send interview over the weekend? I think i remember last time some people got them on saturday. or will we be waiting till monday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The system is "in shambles" ? 😂They made organisational mistakes, it's not like they accidently rejected people or something. Everyone spoke to different people at admissions and they had conflicting information. (Which I know is crappy but also could've been helped by people just letting them get on with it) And I'm sorry to burst your bubble but they can absolutely change their mind without warning. They're a medical school, they need to get through applications properly, not work to everyone's individual wishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. It isn't in shambles. This kind of stuff happens to all unis. They have an intense workload having to sift through thousands of applications properly. Its easy enough for us to whine about it, but they're also stressed out, and will continue to be stressed out if we keep bugging them. Lets just give them some breathing room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoa)
    What are your stats
    1st class in Biochemistry (achieved) and 617 UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06moca1)
    1st class in Biochemistry (achieved) and 617 UKCAT
    This makes me feel much better seeing this! My ukcat is 640 with a 1st but not heard a thing yet so expected the worst. Hopefully I have a chance now.. Was this for a100 or a101?
    Good luck with the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparks023)
    This makes me feel much better seeing this! My ukcat is 640 with a 1st but not heard a thing yet so expected the worst. Hopefully I have a chance now.. Was this for a100 or a101?
    Good luck with the interview
    Ahh! That makes me feel better too! I dunno whether I am at a disadvantage though because I'm predicted a 1st rather than achieved.. But ukcat is 653

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoa)
    Ahh! That makes me feel better too! I dunno whether I am at a disadvantage though because I'm predicted a 1st rather than achieved.. But ukcat is 653
    Yeah I have no idea how they weigh it or if they do but can't imagine it being a problem.
    But this has given me a tiny bit of hope now
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have no idea how they weigh it or if they do but can't imagine it being a problem.
    But this has given me a tiny bit of hope now
    Best of luck
    Their Xmas Newsletter (and website) said that interviews were awarded based on UKCAT and academic ability score (determined either by UCAS tariff or a weighted score dependent on degree classification). If you have a first and a higher UKCAT score, I would be surprised if you didn't get an interview... but I don't actually have a clue. I am sitting on a 2.1 + masters and a UKCAT score of 765, so this also gives me a tiny weeny bit of hope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamdaniell)
    Their Xmas Newsletter (and website) said that interviews were awarded based on UKCAT and academic ability score (determined either by UCAS tariff or a weighted score dependent on degree classification). If you have a first and a higher UKCAT score, I would be surprised if you didn't get an interview... but I don't actually have a clue. I am sitting on a 2.1 + masters and a UKCAT score of 765, so this also gives me a tiny weeny bit of hope...
    I know they like 1sts, but with a masters and 765 I would be very surprised if you didn't get an interview, I'd say you have a good chance. And you must have got interviews elsewhere with that score too?
    Also just to clarify I know that they select 50:50 ukcat and weighting of degree, I just wasn't sure if predicted or achieved makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I know they like 1sts, but with a masters and 765 I would be very surprised if you didn't get an interview, I'd say you have a good chance. And you must have got interviews elsewhere with that score too?
    Also just to clarify I know that they select 50:50 ukcat and weighting of degree, I just wasn't sure if predicted or achieved makes a difference?
    As far as I know, predicted/achieved doesn't make a difference - they may just make your place conditional on achieving that classification (or not, depending on other factors). I could be wrong about that, but it would seem grossly unfair to make interview offer judgements based on predicted/achieved grades...

Ugh, and I hope I get an offer; Barts is my joint top choice; I've got an interview with KCL, and had interviews with George's and Aberdeen (so I'm not in a bad position). Just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope there are yet more offers to come from Barts (and that you and I are just the sods who had to wait for ages)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamdaniell)
    As far as I know, predicted/achieved doesn't make a difference - they may just make your place conditional on achieving that classification (or not, depending on other factors). I could be wrong about that, but it would seem grossly unfair to make interview offer judgements based on predicted/achieved grades...

Ugh, and I hope I get an offer; Barts is my joint top choice; I've got an interview with KCL, and had interviews with George's and Aberdeen (so I'm not in a bad position). Just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope there are yet more offers to come from Barts (and that you and I are just the sods who had to wait for ages)!
    Thankfully I've achieved mine so I can't go wrong on that, I know someone further up on this thread was wondering.
    Ahh we applied to almost the same places!
    I was rejected from kings and Aberdeen though. I genuinely thought Aberdeen was my best bet but this year the ukcat cut off was higher I probably shouldn't have tried kings but I thought 'view applications holistically' sounded good at the time 😐
    Seems like you have good odds of getting an interview for barts though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoa)
    I think you are at a disadvantage. I was predicted a 1st with a UKCAT of 657.5. However, I was rejected last year along with many of my cohort at my university.
    The chat has discussed this matter before when I stated my interview offer. Barts may prefer people who have achieved a 1st. However, if you are predicted then UKCAT might need to be high.

Someone at my university who got rejected last year ended up with an interview this year. He is in the exact same position as me. Rejected last year with predicted 1st. However, this year both of us has an even lower UKCAT but achieved 1st. We both got an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06moca1)
    I think you are at a disadvantage. I was predicted a 1st with a UKCAT of 657.5. However, I was rejected last year along with many of my cohort at my university.
    The chat has discussed this matter before when I stated my interview offer. Barts may prefer people who have achieved a 1st. However, if you are predicted then UKCAT might need to be high.

Someone at my university who got rejected last year ended up with an interview this year. He is in the exact same position as me. Rejected last year with predicted 1st. However, this year both of us has an even lower UKCAT but achieved 1st. We both got an interview.
    Ahh ok! That's interesting to know, I guess I have to wait and see, I mean I did call them and ask before I applied and the lady said they take predicted as achieved grades but you never know thanks for that though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoa)
    Ahh ok! That's interesting to know, I guess I have to wait and see, I mean I did call them and ask before I applied and the lady said they take predicted as achieved grades but you never know thanks for that though!
    I had an interview with a predicted grade. I don't think they discriminate between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview with a predicted grade. I don't think they discriminate between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are your stats

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.