Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers from Bath, Nottingham, Kings, Manchester and Cardiff for Pharmacy. I'm currently deciding between Bath, Nottingham and Cardiff. I love Bath in terms of the university but I'm just wondering whether the course is good? Are the lecturers good etc? Also is the size of the university too small or is it fine? And what is life like in Nottingham/Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I'd say bath. But, I would highly recommend visiting all of the universities and getting a better idea about the area before evaluating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student11198)
    I've had offers from Bath, Nottingham, Kings, Manchester and Cardiff. I'm currently deciding between Bath, Nottingham and Cardiff. I love Bath in terms of the university but I'm just wondering whether the course is good? Are the lecturers good etc? Also is the size of the university too small or is it fine? And what is life like in Nottingham/Cardiff?
    For what course? I think the first four of those universities are equally good, and Cardiff is a bit worse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi, please can you inform us what made you drop Manchester and Kings?

Among Cardiff, Bath and Nottingham, I agree that Bath (as a University) is really good. I have heard that student life in Bath is good. You are close to Bristol (about 10 mins on the train). However, the course quality should also play a role in your decision. You don't want to study at a school, where lecturers can't be bothered and students are slackers. This is not intended to any of your 5 choices.

Think about this again before making your decision. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi- I can (try to) answer any questions you have about Cardiff- I'm a 1st year student

The university is quite big but not too overwhelming. It's also very very central which is great if you want to go out and buy some shopping during lunch or just generally for nights out (depending on your halls).
    Cardiff as a city is beautiful. I never want to leave! There's always something on and there's such a variety of things to do. Also I'm a bit of a BBC nerd so it's great to recognise places they film!
    Course-wise, I am finding it quite challenging but it's overall pretty interesting. They try to vary the teaching style as much as they can with lectures, workshops, clinical skills and occasionally we visit the biosciences buildings for dissection (observation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSUCL)
    In my opinion, I'd say bath. But, I would highly recommend visiting all of the universities and getting a better idea about the area before evaluating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've seen all of them twice, once for the open day and once for the interview but I still have no idea... Why would you say Bath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    For what course? I think the first four of those universities are equally good, and Cardiff is a bit worse.
    It's for Pharmacy. Why would you say that Cardiff is worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Hi, please can you inform us what made you drop Manchester and Kings?

Among Cardiff, Bath and Nottingham, I agree that Bath (as a University) is really good. I have heard that student life in Bath is good. You are close to Bristol (about 10 mins on the train). However, the course quality should also play a role in your decision. You don't want to study at a school, where lecturers can't be bothered and students are slackers. This is not intended to any of your 5 choices.

Think about this again before making your decision. Good luck.
    I'm from London so I don't want to go to Kings as I want a change and Manchester just doesn't seem like the uni for me, it's a bit too big and intimidating for me to be honest. Do you know anything about the course at Bath by any chance? Are the lecturers/students good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    Hi- I can (try to) answer any questions you have about Cardiff- I'm a 1st year student

The university is quite big but not too overwhelming. It's also very very central which is great if you want to go out and buy some shopping during lunch or just generally for nights out (depending on your halls).
    Cardiff as a city is beautiful. I never want to leave! There's always something on and there's such a variety of things to do. Also I'm a bit of a BBC nerd so it's great to recognise places they film!
    Course-wise, I am finding it quite challenging but it's overall pretty interesting. They try to vary the teaching style as much as they can with lectures, workshops, clinical skills and occasionally we visit the biosciences buildings for dissection (observation).
    Thanks so much for the help What would you say the types of people are like in Cardiff? What's the nightlife like in Cardiff and would you say it's a safe place to live in? Also are the lecturers good/what are the contact hours like? What would you say is the best accommodation? What made you choose Cardiff? Are there good societies in terms of music? Sorry for the hundreds of questions, I just want to make the right decision
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by student11198)
    I'm from London so I don't want to go to Kings as I want a change and Manchester just doesn't seem like the uni for me, it's a bit too big and intimidating for me to be honest. Do you know anything about the course at Bath by any chance? Are the lecturers/students good?
    Hi.

For the course, I don't know.

I did not attend Bath, so I don't have firsthand experience of the place. According to friends, Bath has a good academic background. The students are hardworking and very friendly. The lecturers have been claimed to be good.

As a city, Bath is quite expensive and there is the stereotype that Bath's students are either posh private school kids or from rich homes. This, however, does not mean that students from other backgrounds do not attend. Bath is a lovely historic city. When I visited, I enjoyed my time there.

I agree that Manchester can be intimidating because of the sheer size of its "campus."

I think you should consider all options before making a decision of where you will live and study for 3/4 years of your life. It is always good to have a balance of academics and decent social life.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am also considering between Bath and King's for pharmacy. I really like London but everything is quite expensive there, do you think King's is worth it? Is the lecturers good? I don't mind the size of the university but I just want to have a good learning opportunity where I can interact with people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey,

Try to contact current students from Bath and Kings.

If you have time, visit Bath and Kings during term time and speak to some students walking down the street. For Kings, go to student areas like their Students’ Union or Library. For Bath, go towards the lecture halls.

A friend did not gofor Open Days, but he went during a normal uni day. It turned out fun for him because he saw his prospective campuses in their normal setting rather than the pomp of open day.

Students are often willing to chat about their university experience, as long as you don’t want them to speak to you for hours.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.