Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I'am a student in college last year i supposed to go university this year September.
    Im not fully sure whether should i go or not. I have few questions to ask you guys since most of you here had touch with university so you will know about it well.
    My first question is
    1:can you guys correct it [double checking] I researched about student finance and from what i read, basically i apply, once i start university they pay for my uni. And if i dont get a job i dont need to pay back but if i do and its more than 21000 salary then i pay i think 3/7% of my salary for the uni. Thats all i researched and my sub question to this is
    -If i apply now and i decide after summer that i wont go to uni, will they cancel student finance i wont have to pay anything right [i think i won't but double checking]
    2:If i accept my offer for university [which will mean i start uni in september] but in summer i decide not to go, can i just cancel ?
    3: Also i applied for Computer science [gaming] and got offer i can accept it but i wanted for normal computer science. Can i somehow change it later, would i have to call this uni, go to them and talk in person or what should i do to change it or most important thing can i change it ?

4: My girlfriend lives in USA she has US passport which means she can come to UK without any visa or so ever. My/ours question is can she get some financial support like student finance.
    -Will the price of the course/uni will be the same or for people from outside of UK is more expensive ?
    -If she gets scholarship in usa can she use it for uni in London?

5: If i lets say take student finance for me and after 1 year of uni i decide to quit would i still have to pay later for the 2 years didnt go to ?
    - what if i fail some exam during 2/3rd year of uni ? will all my money go and i will waste 3 years of my life ?

6:What do you think about university overall, is it worth it, should i just get some good paid job without degree needed or run my own small business and make it grow ? is uni worth it ?

7: If you could share your experience if you went to uni /are at uni or didnt go to uni [but i think everyone here went/ had something to do with uni as its ''student room'']

Sorry for long post. i think thats all of my questions i wanted to ask

Thanks for any help !
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by i3arty)
    Hi all,
    I'am a student in college last year i supposed to go university this year September.
    Im not fully sure whether should i go or not. I have few questions to ask you guys since most of you here had touch with university so you will know about it well.
    My first question is
    1:can you guys correct it [double checking] I researched about student finance and from what i read, basically i apply, once i start university they pay for my uni. And if i dont get a job i dont need to pay back but if i do and its more than 21000 salary then i pay i think 3/7% of my salary for the uni. Thats all i researched and my sub question to this is
    Yes that is mostly correct but depending on your income you might not get enough to fully cover your living costs.

-If i apply now and i decide after summer that i wont go to uni, will they cancel student finance i wont have to pay anything right [i think i won't but double checking]
    As long as you havent attended the university at all then no you wont owe anything

2:If i accept my offer for university [which will mean i start uni in september] but in summer i decide not to go, can i just cancel ?
    Yes assuming you've not signed up for accomodation you'll be fine
    3: Also i applied for Computer science [gaming] and got offer i can accept it but i wanted for normal computer science. Can i somehow change it later, would i have to call this uni, go to them and talk in person or what should i do to change it or most important thing can i change it ?
    If you want to change it do it now as you might not be able to once you start.

4: My girlfriend lives in USA she has US passport which means she can come to UK without any visa or so ever. My/ours question is can she get some financial support like student finance.
    No, she has to be a Uk resident or an EU national to receive anything from the government.

-Will the price of the course/uni will be the same or for people from outside of UK is more expensive ?
    More expensive she would have to pay international fees

Depends on the scholarship rules i guess

5: If i lets say take student finance for me and after 1 year of uni i decide to quit would i still have to pay later for the 2 years didnt go to ?
    - what if i fail some exam during 2/3rd year of uni ? will all my money go and i will waste 3 years of my life ?
    No, you only pay for when you attended. Well you normally get resits and in some cases can even resit a whole year and if you didnt get a whole degree then theres various exit awards so not a complete waste.

6:What do you think about university overall, is it worth it, should i just get some good paid job without degree needed or run my own small business and make it grow ? is uni worth it ?
    Thats quite subjective really, as many people have degrees these days it would be expected to have one to get a really decent paid job.

7: If you could share your experience if you went to uni /are at uni or didnt go to uni [but i think everyone here went/ had something to do with uni as its ''student room'']
    Can't help much here as i did two years of a degree which i m planning on finishing next year but really wouldnt say i m a typical student

Thanks for any help !
    See everything in bold above.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply !

ReputationRep:
    Also, i have one more question. If it's way more expensive for international students, then how do some people study here in UK/London i saw different students from outside of EU so how do they manage to study here. Are there any ''tips'' like do you guys have some sort of idea how she could be studying here ? Are there any students from US on this forum ? maybe you guys saw some thread about US students studying here that could help me, if you did please send me a link to the thread

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Also, i have one more question. If it's way more expensive for international students, then how do some people study here in UK/London i saw different students from outside of EU so how do they manage to study here. Are there any ''tips'' like do you guys have some sort of idea how she could be studying here ? Are there any students from US on this forum ? maybe you guys saw some thread about US students studying here that could help me, if you did please send me a link to the thread

Thanks !
    Mostly (from the international non EU students I know...and even EU students to some extent) from wealthy backgrounds.

ReputationRep:

Thanks !
    The only tip is asking rich parents.
    If she's not wealthy, it's extremely unlikely she'll be able to study here (though American uni isn't cheap either so...)

EG at my uni, international fees per year are £16,000-35,000 - not including any living costs. Meaning uni can cost between £80-150,000 in total approx.

Also re your changing course, email and call them now to find out if it's possible to change.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    My first question is

Thanks for any help !
    1. You'll pay back 9% of your salary over £21,000, so if you earn £21,100 in a given year you'll pay in £9. Currently this stops if you either pay off your loan, 30 years has passed or you move abroad for some time. They can cancel your tuition loan until a few weeks into university, although in that case you will need to pay back the your first maintenance loan.

2. Yes you can just cancel

3.Probably, it would depend on the university. But my guess is their first year would contain the same content or enough modules in common that they would allow you to transfer.

4. She can visit for 90 days without a visa. She can't get student finance from the UK but I think she can get student loans from the US to study at a UK institution. The cost will likely be a lot more expensive, although dependent on course and university this could be a couple of thousand or tens of thousands.

5. You'd only have to pay back for the first year. What happens when you fail will vary between universities, you should get a chance to resit and then if you fail the resit you may get a condoned pass, but if not then yes you will have to leave the university. You may be able to transfer your credits though so it's not a complete waste.

6. This varies heavily depending on the person, there's no single answer. Electrician, plumber, accountant, mechanic, engineer, these are all good jobs you can get without a degree (or the traditional route to a degree) if that's what you're asking.

7. Again this is quite a difficult question to answer as everyone has different experiences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.