Turn on thread page Beta

what is the likely hood of me getting an investment banking graduate role watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a student at De Montfort University studying physics what are the chances of me getting a graduate role in investment banking, this being in a major bank or even boutique. I have been working for an accounting firm during my summers and was wondering realistically if i have a shot in getting this.

If i was to do a Masters degree in physics at say Imperial or UCL could this help me, i wouldn't want to do this but If i have to i would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBFUTURE)
    I am a student at De Montfort University studying physics what are the chances of me getting a graduate role in investment banking, this being in a major bank or even boutique. I have been working for an accounting firm during my summers and was wondering realistically if i have a shot with getting this.If i was to do a Masters degree in physics at say Imperial or UCL could this help me
    Right now, you have almost zero chance of getting in because graduate roles are so competitive and you haven't done any internships or gone to a target uni- it is easier to apply for internships at a target and do really well on those so you get offered a graduate role. Definitely apply to UCL or Imperial and apply again for internships.

Doing a masters degree at Imperial or UCL will definitely help since they are both targeted by investment banks while DeMonfort is not. Make sure you get really good extra curriculars (sports, volunteering, committee member of a society) and show a passion for finance (do your research, also join a finance society).

But first, understand that the vast majority of people who apply for banking internships do not get any offers so you are not guaranteed anything even if you are at a target. However, doing a masters has its other benefits; for example, you could apply for more advanced roles in physics/technology positions in case you don't get into banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Doing a masters degree at Imperial or UCL will definitely help since they are both targeted by investment banks while DeMonfort is not. Make sure you get really good extra curriculars (sports, volunteering, committee member of a society) and show a passion for finance (do your research, also join a finance society).

Right now, you have almost zero chance of getting in because graduate roles are so competitive and you haven't done any internships or gone to a target uni- it is easier to apply for internships at a target and do really well on those so you get offered a graduate role. Definitely apply to UCL or Imperial and apply again for internships.
    Thanks, i will do this and in my CV i have shown that i am passionate about finance and i actually am a founder of a society in the university. As for the internship i sadly didn't get one last year, i got all the way to the point where they interviewed me twice but in the end i didn't get the summer job.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i will do this and in my CV i have shown that i am passionate about finance and i actually am a founder of a society in the university. As for the internship i sadly didn't get one last year, i got all the way to the point where they interviewed me twice but in the end i didn't get the summer job.
    Yeah if you have great extra curricular activities (and it looks like you do) and a passion for finance then you have a good chance of getting an internship. Make sure you know the pros and cons of working in different roles in finance (e.g. trading, sales, research, investment banking (m&a, capital markets)) before you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your Messages. Helped and also reassured me that I'm not a idiot and it is possible for me to do this, just that little bit harder which will require more effort from myself.

ReputationRep:
    Princepieman any more advice for him please?

ReputationRep:
    I am a student at De Montfort University studying physics what are the chances of me getting a graduate role in investment banking, this being in a major bank or even boutique. I have been working for an accounting firm during my summers and was wondering realistically if i have a shot in getting this.

If i was to do a Masters degree in physics at say Imperial or UCL could this help me, i wouldn't want to do this but If i have to i would.
    What kind of work exactly were you doing at the accounting firm? Did you have any prior experience with accounting before working there? Just interested as I'm planning on doing the same thing this summer.

ReputationRep:
    I was just helping them out generally sending letters/emails, talking to clients, they also started teaching me through practice so i would get exemptions on the AAT which means i could skip to level 3 of the certificate if i wanted to right now. I wouldn't do this, i would finish my degree and then get the chartered qualification.

i never had any prior experience i literally just walked into the firm and if i saw anyone who looked important i just handed them my CV and spoke to them for a while. I also handed CVs to the recruitment department.

ReputationRep:
    Your chances are pretty slim, considering there are tons of applications from STEM universities, such as Imperial College. What I would personally do is strive to get the best possible result, preferably a 1st. Afterwards I would do a masters at a solid target, in a quantiative disipline involving finance. However that is only the academic aspect, and the other boxes won't be ticked, such as EC's or relevant work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I go to De Montfort university and have two spring week internships at investments banks

Nothing is impossible! OP PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traderyaz93)
    I go to De Montfort university and have two spring week internships at investments banks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Front office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    Front office?
    Just the one, the other is MO

ReputationRep:

Private Message me

ReputationRep:
    Private Message me
    message sent

ReputationRep:

What year are you in?

If you have really really good grades "like all first classes" and lots of other things outside of uni then you have a chance..Mainly leadership stuff.

Depends on what year you're currently in though but I think applying for a graduate Programme doing trading or sales or investment banking without no experience or internships would be a waste of time.

But Don't let anyone online tell you that you can't. Yes banks do recruit from top schools but they won't turn a really good application down, just because you don't go to Oxford or London schools lol.

Apply and see for yourself..

Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two? You mean you got two offers or you went to two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    I got two offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *Likelihood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiritually)
    What year are you in?

If you have really really good grades "like all first classes" and lots of other things outside of uni then you have a chance..Mainly leadership stuff.

Depends on what year you're currently in though but I think applying for a graduate Programme doing trading or sales or investment banking without no experience or internships would be a waste of time.

But Don't let anyone online tell you that you can't. Yes banks do recruit from top schools but they won't turn a really good application down, just because you don't go to Oxford or London schools lol.

Apply and see for yourself..

Good luck.
    I'm currently in my second year
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    I can confirm that the user is legit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.