Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

Can anyone advise me on how generous LSE is with graduate funding (Graduate Support Scheme)?

I'm interested in applying for the MSc International Management (IMEX) course at LSE for September 2017, but I need to know my likelihood of getting financial support in case I need to consider other options.

A little about me:
    • I'm in my final year of a BSc Management degree (Predicted 1.1)
    • Predicted 600+ on the GMAT
    • I'm involved with societies at University
    • I plan on getting a £10,000 Postgraduate Loan from the government, but I would need £15,000 from LSE to cover the rest of the course fees.
    • I'm fine with accommodation money (at home and abroad)
    • I'm not eligible for an LSE Scholarship

Based on my academic profile, am I likely to get funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyInLondon)
    Hi Everyone

Can anyone advise me on how generous LSE is with graduate funding (Graduate Support Scheme)?

I'm interested in applying for the MSc International Management (IMEX) course at LSE for September 2017, but I need to know my likelihood of getting financial support in case I need to consider other options.

A little about me:
    • I'm in my final year of a BSc Management degree (Predicted 1.1)
    • Predicted 600+ on the GMAT
    • I'm involved with societies at University
    • I plan on getting a £10,000 Postgraduate Loan from the government, but I would need £15,000 from LSE to cover the rest of the course fees.
    • I'm fine with accommodation money (at home and abroad)
    • I'm not eligible for an LSE Scholarship
    Based on my academic profile, am I likely to get funding?
    The GSS is a means-tested grant to supplement the funds of people who could not otherwise afford to undertake an MSc. So it is your financial situation and not your academic history which is the main determinant of whether you get a grant (although there are unconfirmed reports that you will be more likely to get a grant if LSE really wants you as a student because of your past academic success). The algorithm they use to determine whether you get funding is not disclosed so, even if you provided your financials to this forum (and I would strongly suggest *not* doing that), no one here could tell you whether you're likely to get funding. However, keep in mind that only 8% of people who apply for the GSS will get a grant, that many people applying will be international students from developing countries who have no access to loans etc and that, even if you are successful, the average grant is 7000 quid.

So, yes, my advice to you is that it is highly unlikely you will get 15000 quid through the GSS, and to explore other funding options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blerg)
    The GSS is a means-tested grant to supplement the funds of people who could not otherwise afford to undertake an MSc. So it is your financial situation and not your academic history which is the main determinant of whether you get a grant (although there are unconfirmed reports that you will be more likely to get a grant if LSE really wants you as a student because of your past academic success). The algorithm they use to determine whether you get funding is not disclosed so, even if you provided your financials to this forum (and I would strongly suggest *not* doing that), no one here could tell you whether you're likely to get funding. However, keep in mind that only 8% of people who apply for the GSS will get a grant, that many people applying will be international students from developing countries who have no access to loans etc and that, even if you are successful, the average grant is 7000 quid.

So, yes, my advice to you is that it is highly unlikely you will get 15000 quid through the GSS, and to explore other funding options.
    Only 8% who apply for GSS support receive a loan? Can I have a link to that please? (Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see what else is on that page).
    Thank you so much for your help. I will apply for other funding options to supplement my GSS application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyInLondon)
    Only 8% who apply for GSS support receive a loan? Can I have a link to that please? (Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see what else is on that page).
    Thank you so much for your help. I will apply for other funding options to supplement my GSS application.
    Only 8% receive a *grant*; here you go.

(The page says this is a stat from 2012, but the stat remains roughly consistent with other info - from LSE and others - about how hard it is to get a GSS grant.)

On the plus side, attempting to secure funding from other sources and evidencing this in your GSS application will be 'viewed very favourably' (see previous link).

Finally, note that the deadline for applications is 27 April 2016.

Good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.