Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    So I'm thinking of applying to uni during a gap year. My school has said that they would help with personal statements and references etc which I thought was good. However, a friend explained it would still be difficult but I wondered why...Any thoughts?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Hey guys
    So I'm thinking of applying to uni during a gap year. My school has said that they would help with personal statements and references etc which I thought was good. However, a friend explained it would still be difficult but I wondered why...Any thoughts?
    As long as you ve got a referee sorted you should be okay doing it yourself

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be stressful as long as you have a good referee, you know exactly what you want to do and where.
    The personal statement is the hardest thing but since your school said they would help, there should be no problems.
    Why did the friend say it would be difficult because i'm struggling to see why. I applied for UCAS this year as an individual it's not hard don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, I applied as an individual applicant after I finished sixth form and there weren't any issues as long as you have the reference and personal statement sorted and filled it out properly.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you are confident you know what you are doing then do it yourself. Like everyone else I cnat see why it would be hard.
    If the school have offered to help then a quick check of your application by someone impartial wouldnt do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    I did it on my own! The only stressful thing was the referee

ReputationRep:
    yeah I got into Imperial and UCL on my own - It's not a problem

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    If you're going to have a reference, and they're willing to help with personal statements, I'm not sure what extra a school would usually do? Perhaps they might check all your qualifications were entered correctly, but this isn't hard to do, just sometimes a little time consuming.

I re-applied after dropping out without any help from my school except a reference and it wasn't any harder than applying through school.

Perhaps you should ask your friend to explain what they mean?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    As everyone here has said, it's not that difficult. I have done it all on my own, as I'm a spanish applicant, and to be honest I didn't have anyone to help me do it.

The personal statement was a bit difficult, but I just looked up some websites for advice and it was fine! Just remember to get someone to write a reference letter for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As long as you ve got a referee sorted you should be okay doing it yourself
    Oh ok awesome.
    May I just ask though, what exactly is a referee needed for? This may sound like a silly question lol but what exactly does a ref do? Initially I had thought I would only need a referee to do my predicted grades but because I would have actual grades I wouldn't need a referee but I've realised so far I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone that replied really appreciate your help <3

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Only thing i needed my school for was a reference.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Oh ok awesome.
    May I just ask though, what exactly is a referee needed for? This may sound like a silly question lol but what exactly does a ref do? Initially I had thought I would only need a referee to do my predicted grades but because I would have actual grades I wouldn't need a referee but I've realised so far I'm wrong.
    You ll need a reference for your application, they talk about your academic ability ect.

ReputationRep:
    You ll need a reference for your application, they talk about your academic ability ect.
    Oh so a referee is just someone who does your reference? If so that's good since my head of year has said he would do my reference for me.

ReputationRep:
    I did it on my own and it was pretty straight forward.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Oh so a referee is just someone who does your reference? If so that's good since my head of year has said he would do my reference for me.
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I think Hunnybeebee would be the perfect person to help with this situation

ReputationRep:
    In that case, it's quite likely that the school will insist that you apply through them anyway as it is easier from their point of view. Make sure you find out what thieir policy is before setting up your UCAS account.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Awesome, thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    In that case, it's quite likely that the school will insist that you apply through them anyway as it is easier from their point of view. Make sure you find out what thieir policy is before setting up your UCAS account.
    Oh I see. Will do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.