Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it hard doing UCAS alone (without direct help from school) ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don Pedro K was a first hand witness in my incredibly last minute application to apply to university. Due to unforseen circumstances, I applied as an individual rather than through my school meaning that I could choose my reference (my private a-level biology tutor). The UCAS process at my school was complicated and slow and doing it by myself within three days was far easier. If the relationship with your referee is good then go for it! To make my reference stronger, I sent supporting references from a pharmacist and GP that I have worked with. Get someone to check your personal statement too which Don Predro K did for me which was very kind and helpful! Always good to have another opinion.

In my case, applying without the school was better. If I did it through them, I would have been predicted lower grades, a referee from someone that didn't teach me my subjects and so doesn't know me that well, and limited into what universities I could apply for. I couldn't be happier with an offer from Newcastle and UEA for biomedical sciences with the option to transfer to medicine. Good luck! and thank you Don Pedro K. o K.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    It shouldn't be stressful as long as you have a good referee, you know exactly what you want to do and where.
    The personal statement is the hardest thing but since your school said they would help, there should be no problems.
    Why did the friend say it would be difficult because i'm struggling to see why. I applied for UCAS this year as an individual it's not hard don't worry.
    hey, I was just wondering, does UCAS send an instant email to the referee upon entering the referee's email address? or do they take more time? I'm kinda freaking out because I still didn't enter my referees details yet and I'm afraid ill miss the deadline if they contact my referee after a while

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.