Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What can I do if I fail my social work placement? I'm a great student but my practice teacher has it in for me.

Help!

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same boat. My superviser makes up lies and almost any contribution i make on placement is seen as challenging. She says she has concerns and my practise ed believed her too. Really want to move placement where i would be supported i feel if i stay where i am i will fail as my superviser already has her mind made up.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Loopsicle)
    Im in the same boat. My superviser makes up lies and almost any contribution i make on placement is seen as challenging. She says she has concerns and my practise ed believed her too. Really want to move placement where i would be supported i feel if i stay where i am i will fail as my superviser already has her mind made up.
    Then go to your practice ed and talk about your concerns plis a possible transfer.

They will need evidence or for you to make a credible case as to why you are unhappy or have no confidence in your existing supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice, i have been making notes along the way where i feel that i have been mistreated and bullied by my superviser and staff however i feel that its only my word against hers really. I was told by a senior that my supervisor said i would fail so its almost as if her mind is made up. As my practise ed is off site its a case of believing what is being told to her by superviser. I feel so lost and really dont want i fail, my confidence has really taken a hit.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you so much for your advice, i have been making notes along the way where i feel that i have been mistreated and bullied by my superviser and staff however i feel that its only my word against hers really. I was told by a senior that my supervisor said i would fail so its almost as if her mind is made up. As my practise ed is off site its a case of believing what is being told to her by superviser. I feel so lost and really dont want i fail, my confidence has really taken a hit.
    Do you have a student advisor or someone in the SU you cna speak to?

You need someone who cna be objective about your case and you arent in the best position or fame of mind to do that.

You can make the case that its unfair to really be talking about failing you already.
    Highlight the amount of support you are getting.
    It may mean you have to tlak to your supervisor and start calling it now i.e
    What are your clear and achievable targets?
    Where do they think you ought to be improving?
    The plan needs to be fair.

That would give you soemthing to aim for any maybe do something that has more regular reviews so you cna make sure you are on track.

Sort something out now to give yourself a chance.

Are you a member of the British Association of Social Workers?

You can e-mail them for guidance.

It might be an advantage if they have mentors as well. You could use any plan based on feedback they mentioned when discussing what your tragets are.

https://www.basw.co.uk/askbasw/
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just read your post. I have just had my placement terminated for similar reasons except I was getting upset and they said I couldnt manage my emotions.
    I feel for you as its like no one believes you and they all close ranks, even my university. Good luck with everything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.