Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being forced to sing christian songs in primary watch

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else remember this back in primary or was it just my school? I found it incredibly sectarian and divisive to those from religious minorities who would either be forced to sign songs they did not believe in or simply not attend assemblies excluding them from everyone else. Why exactly do schools have to do that when they aren't even christian schools? Seems to me that they need to learn that this is now a multicultural country and at the time I was furious at them trying to indoctrinate us like they did. If we were to sing songs praising muhammed there would have been uproar.

Not sure if schools still do this but did any of you guys feel similarly about the situation when in primary?

ReputationRep:
    He's got the whole world in his hands
    He's got the whole wide world in his hands!

We had to go to church at the end of term every year from p1 to S6, people of other religions could opt out though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    does anyone else remember this back in primary or was it just my school?
    Yes, my primary forced all students to attend morning assembly during which religious songs and prayers were said.

Seems to me that they need to learn that this is now a multicultural country
    No, they should learn that religion has no place in education.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a Catholic primary school. I'm now atheist.

The fact that children are taught to believe the existence of God is fact before they even develop the cognitive capacity to critically think is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    I just pretended. I couldn't process the lyrics anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I followed Hinduism until the age of 9 before leaving and having no religion, but I just sang the christian songs for the fun of it lol

When I saw this thread, I thought of this song:
    Sing hosanna
    Sing hosanna
    Sing hosanna to the king of kings

Hahaha :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Something about "a candle in the dark" and "little lord Jesus"

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I went to a regular state school too, it wasn't a faith school and this was before the days of the 'free' schools with a christian ethos. I used to sing 'dog' instead of 'god'.

ReputationRep:
    We used to sing 'and the trees of the fields will crap their pants, crap their pants, crap their pants' and 'cross over the road my friend, as the Lord is really bent', which was quite edgy humour back then.

I suppose there was quite a lot of churchy stuff going on, but it never did me any harm. I did used wonder why a girl called Zara got out of assemblies just because she was 'from Arabia'. I tried to say I was from Arabia but they wouldn't have it.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't mind it in primary school, was quite annoying in Secondary though.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really considered it before but it does seem like a semi-indoctrination now thinking back. We went to church a few times each term and said prayers and sang hymns in assembly in the morning.

Our Father

Thou fart in heaven

It certainly didn't work as I don't believe a word of that bullsh1t.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else remember this back in primary or was it just my school? I found it incredibly sectarian and divisive to those from religious minorities who would either be forced to sign songs they did not believe in or simply not attend assemblies excluding them from everyone else. Why exactly do schools have to do that when they aren't even christian schools? Seems to me that they need to learn that this is now a multicultural country and at the time I was furious at them trying to indoctrinate us like they did. If we were to sing songs praising muhammed there would have been uproar.

Not sure if schools still do this but did any of you guys feel similarly about the situation when in primary?
    It's not multicultural enough to sweep away hundreds of years of religious tradition. This country is still over 90% white outside of London and those ghastly northern cities.

I remember learning about Jewish holidays and diets and Indian holidays like Diwali. You're acting as though you've been abused. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    I just remember the lyrics being put on the wall with those old projecters because nobody could remember the lyrics anyway. I didn't really understand the significance of them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think twice about it. I sang along because I enjoy singing even though I'm not great at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axel Johann)
    Something about "a candle in the dark" and "little lord Jesus"
    Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little lord Jesus, laid down his sweet head.

SING THAT SH*IT!!!

ReputationRep:
    I remember this, I also remember being forced to memorise a rhyme summarising the Old Testament. This was a non-religious state school. Thought it was *******s then, still do.

ReputationRep:
    I am as atheist as they come and I actually really enjoyed signing hymns during (secular) primary school.

It fosters a community spirit and is just fun. :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    Nah not for me, I think VERY occasionally but we visited a lot of different religious buildings (Mosque, Temple, etc) and singing wise one of the teachers played guitar so we'd sing things like Yellow Submarine, Oh my darling, Clementine etc. (the latter of which is a rather morbid song for little kids to sing in hindsight but back when you're young you don't take the lyrics in)

ReputationRep:
    I went to public ("privately owned" )schools until year 4 and yeah, we were made to sing christian songs, although they weren't faith schools
    not in state schools though...maybe I happened to live in a more secular area

ReputationRep:
    Gotta keep up that child indoctrination, wouldn't want their religion dying out now would they.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.