Turn on thread page Beta

Being forced to sing christian songs in primary watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    It's not multicultural enough to sweep away hundreds of years of religious tradition. This country is still over 90% white outside of London and those ghastly northern cities.

I remember learning about Jewish holidays and diets and Indian holidays like Diwali. You're acting as though you've been abused. Get over it.
    On the whole the country is 87% white though. There's a lot of variation however, in some areas it's virtually 100%, in others it's well below 50%. White, however, does not mean Christian. As of the 2011 census the percentage of the population that identifies as Christian was under 60% and falling. When you consider that a lot of Christians are likely older people who don't have school-age children, it's quite possible that already only a minority of primary school children come from Christian households. That doesn't mean we shouldn't teach about it, both as a major world religion and as a very important part of British history. It does mean that it's innappropriate to teach children that it is the "right" or default faith above all others, present the Bible as fact and encourage or coerce them to express Christian beliefs. I pay my taxes so children can be educated, not indoctrinated. And I say all this not as some kind of radical atheist but as a Christian woman myself.

ReputationRep:
    it's laughable even though Christianity was put down the throat of little kids, indoctrinated like it was North Korea it is still on the decline in the UK.

The closest thing to religious we got was a song about coffee

Bear in mind this was a state primary school, where for most of my time there, all the students were Bangladeshi.

Getting more mixed now though, thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    Both my schools were CofE. So you would expect their to be healthy dose christianity. We went to chapel every day of the week, I quite enjoyed it.

Secondary school didn't have a chapel, it had a cathedral.

ReputationRep:
    I am an atheist and I like to be able to enjoy cultural aspects of christianity without being a **** about it.

Yeah, we sung christian songs.

ReputationRep:
    I sang them, i knew that i never believed in religion even at a young age but i never cared much about singing the songs. Looking back on it, it is rather strange ,however, i like it. We are a christian country, it is good we keep out roots even if they are not in line with what i believe, they do often teach some good lessons that children should know.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.