Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Met a girl the other day. She is a friend of a friend and though I've seen her before, we never really talked properly until then. I thought we had got on well so I asked for her number, I think she was a bit reluctant to give it at first but I gave her my phone so she just gave it to me.

When I try talking to her, she just gives me one word replies and the conversation ends without her giving any effort.

Should I just give up and save the energy on another girl?

I was gonna ask her out but the way she is responding, I don't really know now. My friends think she is playing hard to get and others think she isn't interested.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Met a girl the other day. She is a friend of a friend and though I've seen her before, we never really talked properly until then. I thought we had got on well so I asked for her number, I think she was a bit reluctant to give it at first but I gave her my phone so she just gave it to me.

When I try talking to her, she just gives me one word replies and the conversation ends without her giving any effort.

Should I just give up and save the energy on another girl?
    Might be a bit too soon or she may simply not be into you. Take it slow. It's way too fast by the sound of things…

ReputationRep:
    Some people just don't like chatting via text. I'd suggest asking your friend to arrange some kind of outing with a bunch of you, including her. Try chatting to her a bit then and see how she responds irl as opposed to via text.

she's actually a boy
    have you checked in her pants or do you simple assume she's female?

ReputationRep:
    She dunt care bruv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    She dunt care bruv
    What she said

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like she's interested to me. No matter what mood I'm in I'll still make an effort with person I'm interested in. I have friends that do not like texting so much. If i text them and they don't feel like texting, they will tell me and call me instead or arrange to meet up. I feel like this girl would be more talkative or suggest alternative means of communication if she was that into you. Imo

(Original post by Katarvi)
    Some people just don't like chatting via text. I'd suggest asking your friend to arrange some kind of outing with a bunch of you, including her. Try chatting to her a bit then and see how she responds irl as opposed to via text.
    We already hung out for a few hours though and that's how we got to know each other more. I will try to ask my friend to get her to come with us for a night out or something

(Original post by iEthan)
    Might be a bit too soon or she may simply not be into you. Take it slow. It's way too fast by the sound of things…
    Ok but I'm just hitting her up with a friendly convo, if she isn't being interested in that then there's no point taking things further

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    It doesn't sound like she's interested to me. No matter what mood I'm in I'll still make an effort with person I'm interested in. I have friends that do not like texting so much. If i text them and they don't feel like texting, they will tell me and call me instead or arrange to meet up. I feel like this girl would be more talkative or suggest alternative means of communication if she was that into you. Imo
    Even then, if I'm just trying to make a friendly conversation she shouldn't be so difficult should she? Unless she knew I liked her...

ReputationRep:
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg simon-cowell.jpg (20.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    That's just a few hours though, doesn't hurt to see her a bit more and see how you get along. Its easier to tell if someone likes you when you're with them face to face than to try and decode their texting. It's worth a shot I think, even if you end up thinking she doesn't like you, you still had a good day with some friends and can move on from it.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not interested, sorry mate

ReputationRep:
    Not wanting to hijack this thread but semi-similarly I was messaged by this really hot burd from POF, had a bit of conversation, then asked her to meet and got:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (her)Are you free day times at all?

(Me) Yeah, from Thursday I am free whenever, though I'd prefer a pub is coffee is after all, boiling hot water.

(Her) Are you a big drinker of the alcoholic beverage? (her last man was an alchy)

(me) I don't actually drink much nowadays. Like a few pints every few weeks. It's more I've never been on a coffee date, but it's 2016 and all that so I'm open to novelties.

(her) Haha good good!

(me) Well, here's ma number hen: 07**********
    Your choices are coffee shop, DCA, sober jenga in Brewdog or sitting in the dirt playing 3DS. Text me when you decide.

(her) I've never been in brew dog!

(me)It's full of hipstery tw*ts and has very expensive cider, but it has Jenga, buckaroo and other games around the seats, which makes it (mildly) fun.

(her) Oooo I like buckaroo!

(me) Yeah, it's much better better than pop up pirate, which I soon realised always popped up at the same hole. Sometimes you want to use a different hole...

(her)Oh dear lord lol

Her answers switched from asking questions back to closed answers. It was at this point I stopped replying after my repeated prompting of her to agree to a particular time/venue was met with this. Was she never interested, just lacking in conversational skills or did I ask her out too soon?

(Original post by 4Skin)
    Not wanting to hijack this thread but semi-similarly I was messaged by this really hot burd from POF, had a bit of conversation, then asked her to meet and got:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Me) Yeah, from Thursday I am free whenever, though I'd prefer a pub is coffee is after all, boiling hot water.

(Her) Are you a big drinker of the alcoholic beverage? (her last man was an alchy)

(me) I don't actually drink much nowadays. Like a few pints every few weeks. It's more I've never been on a coffee date, but it's 2016 and all that so I'm open to novelties.

(her) Haha good good!

Your choices are coffee shop, DCA, sober jenga in Brewdog or sitting in the dirt playing 3DS. Text me when you decide.

(me)It's full of hipstery tw*ts and has very expensive cider, but it has Jenga, buckaroo and other games around the seats, which makes it (mildly) fun.

(me) Yeah, it's much better better than pop up pirate, which I soon realised always popped up at the same hole. Sometimes you want to use a different hole...

(her)Oh dear lord lol

Her answers switched from asking questions back to closed answers. It was at this point I stopped replying after my repeated prompting of her to agree to a particular time/venue was met with this. Was she never interested, just lacking in conversational skills or did I ask her out too soon?
    what else did you expect her to say.
    no she as not lacking in interest, she put an exclamation mark after mentioning she'd never been in a brew dog (whatever the **** that is) she's interested, she even said "ooo" I like a buckaroo! which equates to enthusiasm. I don't understand how you can't see this.

I am female so I know. She most likely didn't ask any more questions because she couldn't think of anything, perhaps you should talk about more interesting things..

I guess cause you're not a girl so you wouldn't know but it seems like normal conversational skill to be able to recognise this. Also when you said text me when you decide, she even texted you BEFORE she decided - mentioning she'd never been in a brew dog before meaning she wanted to keep talking to you.

This is how I see this anyway.
    How long has it been since she hasn't confirmed the venue ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Skin)
    Spoiler:
    Show

(her) Haha good good!

(her)Oh dear lord lol

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what else did you expect her to say.
    no she as not lacking in interest, she put an exclamation mark after mentioning she'd never been in a brew dog (whatever the **** that is) she's interested, she even said "ooo" I like a buckaroo! which equates to enthusiasm. I don't understand how you can't see this.

I am female so I know. She most likely didn't ask any more questions because she couldn't think of anything, perhaps you should talk about more interesting things..

I guess cause you're not a girl so you wouldn't know but it seems like normal conversational skill to be able to recognise this. Also when you said text me when you decide, she even texted you BEFORE she decided - mentioning she'd never been in a brew dog before meaning she wanted to keep talking to you.

This is how I see this anyway.
    How long has it been since she hasn't confirmed the venue ?
    Brewdog is a hipster pub. I gave her my number so I was expecting her to then switch the conversation from POF to texting my phione, or wait a bit and then text with her decision rather than continuing the convo on POF. Things usually go convo-convo-convo-ask date and give number-switch to texting-follow up text day later to build excitement/give reasurance and then meet.

I waited 24 hours and then hid the account concluding her closed answers were a sign of lost intrest rather than not being able to think of things to say. If she was atually interested then I guess woops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Skin)
    Brewdog is a hipster pub. I gave her my number so I was expecting her to then switch the conversation from POF to texting my phione, or wait a bit and then text with her decision rather than continuing the convo on POF. Things usually go convo-convo-convo-ask date and give number-switch to texting-follow up text day later to build excitement/give reasurance and then meet.

I waited 24 hours and then hid the account concluding her closed answers were a sign of lost intrest rather than not being able to think of things to say. If she was atually interested then I guess woops.
    :facepalm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Agreed it's the others. The fact that she was reluctant to give her number, doesn't that tell you something?

ReputationRep:
    Not encouraging. If you're keen seize the initiative and ask her on a date and see what happens. The key to successful angst free dating is a philosophical and not wasting too much time on non starters. Good luck though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.