Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

My friend is in a bit of a pickle. She had to take a year out of university this year because she doesn't have a UK guarantor and couldn't find any housing that would accept her without her having to pay 5k upfront (which she doesn't have).

I was wondering if anyone knew of any accommodations or housing that they have used in the past to get around this? She can pay for the accommodation, but just not all at once.

She needs to find a place for this September coming otherwise she won't be able to return to university as the university won't allow her another gap year during her studies.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Has run this past the University/Union?
    Can't for an instant believe this is the first time they've come across the same problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    Has run this past the University/Union?
    Can't for an instant believe this is the first time they've come across the same problem.
    Yep :/ they didn't offer any solutions

ReputationRep:
    This is a very common problem indeed. This is why the majority of EU students (or overseas in general) would live in special accommodation / halls.

There is an option to pay upfront which I appreciate not everyone can afford (as many are on scholarships which are paid to them quarterly etc).

The best option for your friend would probably be to search for a room directly from the landlord and/or from the university students already living there looking for a flatmate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yep :/ they didn't offer any solutions
    Noting Yael's post, I'm surprised that the university/universities don't flag this as a problem up front if it's a big issue.

I know landlords can get rent protection insurance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_guarantee_insurance
    Presumably your friend could offer to pay the premium in lieu of guarantor if the small print fits.

Perhaps that might be worth investigating?

University open days

1. University of Bath
    Main University Open Day covering all Undergraduate faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.