The Student Room Group

UoL(IP)- How to get good grades

Hi everyone,

I am applying to the university of london -international program- to study BSc in IR and Politics. My target is to proceed to Masters degree. My question is how hard is it to get at least a 2:1 honors? knowing that there is absolutely no tutor assistance. How will I know whether my essay is good or not since there is no feedback?

Original post by Omar2016
Hi everyone,

I am applying to the university of london -international program- to study BSc in IR and Politics. My target is to proceed to Masters degree. My question is how hard is it to get at least a 2:1 honors? knowing that there is absolutely no tutor assistance. How will I know whether my essay is good or not since there is no feedback?

Hi,

I applied as well for an international program (BSc Business Administration with HRM). Where will you be studying? Good luck with your degree.
Hey, I'm taking Politics and International Relations as well. I just finished my exam for this year (IR1011 and PS1172). I can only take 2 per year because I work full time. I have no idea how I did because there's no tutor who can tell me if I write my essay correctly. The official forum there have other students who can help critic your essays. Also, you can download previous year's exams which have commentary to help you see what they want from your essays
Original post by reyjusuf
Hey, I'm taking Politics and International Relations as well. I just finished my exam for this year (IR1011 and PS1172). I can only take 2 per year because I work full time. I have no idea how I did because there's no tutor who can tell me if I write my essay correctly. The official forum there have other students who can help critic your essays. Also, you can download previous year's exams which have commentary to help you see what they want from your essays

So that means you will need a lot more time to finish your degree? I'm working full time as well but I aim to finish within three to four years. It is impossible? Thanks for your reply and good luck with your studies.
I plan to finish it in 6 years (2 per year). It depends on your own schedule. For me, it's impossible to take 4 in a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by elisabeth1
Hi,

I applied as well for an international program (BSc Business Administration with HRM). Where will you be studying? Good luck with your degree.

Hi Elisabeth, I am willing to study international relations and politics. And good luck to you too 😊
Reply 6
Original post by reyjusuf

Hi ray, can you please tell us about your last exams and your feedback about your first year?
i got 58 for IR1011 and 42 for PS1172 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Damn, do you have any comments about this results?is it because of the exams or the way you study? Have you consult an alumni about the way you study? does this demotivated you? Sorry for this list of questions but this scared me a little bit..
I previously got 70s on two course before this. I do have a full time job so I'm not 100% focused on studying. they don't really comment on your exam results which makes it difficult to improve next year. they release exam commentary on the VLE, explaining what they expect to see in an exam answer but by that time I already forgot what my answers were.
Original post by Omar2016
Damn, do you have any comments about this results?is it because of the exams or the way you study? Have you consult an alumni about the way you study? does this demotivated you? Sorry for this list of questions but this scared me a little bit..

I think that distance learning is definitely a disadvantage when it comes to exams because you don't get taught how to pass the exams. At university it's easier to discuss with your tutor about the structure of the exams, talk through your areas of weakness etc
If you have to submit assignments, universities give a lot of marks based on if you have followed the correct structure, included references etc, so make sure that you put effort into that element of your essay as well as the content
Hello all. How is it going? Revising for the exams? Please share any useful links and tips for the exams :biggrin:
This is whyI didnt go with UoL seems really poor as there is no support. Not worth it IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Got Milk
This is whyI didnt go with UoL seems really poor as there is no support. Not worth it IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on? I am currently studying with UoL and the support is fine. I guess it depends on your expectations. If you need someone to guide you step by step, then a distance learning programme is not the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Based on? I am currently studying with UoL and the support is fine. I guess it depends on your expectations. If you need someone to guide you step by step, then a distance learning programme is not the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on them telling me there is no support. Secondly you couldnt be more incorrect Open Uni provide DL courses and there is support. End of the day its not a college BTEC its a degree course so tutor support is very important to ensure you are on the right track.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Based on them telling me there is no support. Secondly you couldnt be more incorrect Open Uni provide DL courses and there is support. End of the day its not a college BTEC its a degree course so tutor support is very important to ensure you are on the right track.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Them as in UoL or other people on the forum? I wonder where you get your information from as I experienced how it is to study with UoL and they definitely support the students. Obviously not as much as when you'd actually attend classes at uni..
I'm sure the level of support varies per programme or subject as I had one course with a useless tutor but overall they provide support and guidance. Anyways, different experiences. Good luck with your degree 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you have no direct experience with either the UoL or the OU, so you're really not in any position to say which is better/gives more support.
Them as in UoL or other people on the forum? I wonder where you get your information from as I experienced how it is to study with UoL and they definitely support the students. Obviously not as much as when you'd actually attend classes at uni..
I'm sure the level of support varies per programme or subject as I had one course with a useless tutor but overall they provide support and guidance. Anyways, different experiences. Good luck with your degree 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Them=UoL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi Elisabeth1,

I'm planning to register for the same programme as you. Can you please share what your experience has been so far? I know the specific programme does offer some kind of support, which is nice considering most others don't. Were the exams manageable though? Is a 2.i classification achievable?

Thank you in advance. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending