Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you feel pressured to buy your girlfriend the best engagement ring? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what is a guys thought process when it comes to buying an engagement ring.
    She will have this ring for the rest of her life so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    I wonder what is a guys thought process when it comes to buying an engagement ring.
    As a guy, I guess I would go for something special and beautiful. A ring that is special to her and represents the relationship in a good way. Oh and it fits her finger.

ReputationRep:
    http://cdn.ymaservices.com/editorial...jpg?1437647278

And if she loses it, I can easily replace it with ...... :laugh:

http://www.shearsweets.co.uk/media/c...ip_rings_1.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Good question OP. I'm sure most guys would go for something pleasing,if not the best of rings

ReputationRep:
    The months salary rule of thumb for me is RIDICULOUS. Spend ~£100, it's just as good, and then spend some money on a nice city break. As to having it for ever, what if you lose it or it all ends up in horrible recriminations pre wedding day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My bf let me choose my own ring since he knew I wasn't really a fan of jewellery. I just got one from Warren James. Nothing expensive but to me, it means everything. Think it was £30 reduced from £90 odd and its got amethyst and some diamanté crystals around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went for the month's salary option. For most people, that will get you a good sized diamond with gold/white gold. You want something she can show off to her friends, right?

If you're on more of a budget, you can go with silver or go with platinum if you have a little extra.

That said, you don't want to be spending insane amounts on either a wedding or a ring. These things are great to show off but it's investing in a family home that will bring security and comfort to your marriage. Bricks and mortar!

SS

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for cost. You'll never buy the most expensive ring. Go for something special and meaningful. I'd look into a custom made engagement ring maybe and tailor it to her standards.

ReputationRep:
    tbh this ring buying business is rather creepy ? if you are in love then a cheap £1 shop ring will do.

A haribo ring is just fine for me :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Personally, I'd buy something sh would love. If she likes less, then you don't have to go for the most expensive or most beautiful. Best, in this sense, is something she's mentioned in passing to be what she wants and loves. Otherwise we could always go full out on a ring, if we have the wongaz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    tbh this ring buying business is rather creepy ? if you are in love then a cheap £1 shop ring will do.
    but wouldn't you want it to last so you don't have to keep replacing it.
    besides if you are in love you'd probably would want to show the person they're a little more special than the price of chips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    A haribo ring is just fine for me :yes:
    http://www.pizzahut.com.sg/assets/im...amariRings.png

be mine Serine :blush:

ReputationRep:
    As a girl, I would honestly rather have a cheaper ring (not primark but I'm talking maybe £50 )... Because what's the point spending loads of money on some jewelry. To me the gesture is enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    but wouldn't you want it to last so you don't have to keep replacing it.
    besides if you are in love you'd probably would want to show the person they're a little more special than the price of chips
    my relationships do not need sad capitalist valuation tokens :no:

smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    my relationships do not need sad capitalist valuation tokens :no:

smh
    obviously i'm not saying spend hundreds on it or anything but at least something that looks nice and maybe has meaning behind it ??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'd probably want my future fiancé to have an adequately expensive ring, yes. But no plans to break the bank.

ReputationRep:
    I can see there is a lot of of pressure on guys to get the best possible ring. I'm not going to lie, I do want a nice diamond ring (since it will be on my hand for the rest of my life), but I don't expect something ridiculously expensive.

My sister's engagement ring was £11,500 It's a stunning ring and the clarity is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    We both agreed to ignore the 1-month salary suggestion by De Beers. Besides, there's no way i'm ever buying a diamond. Fundamentally they're of little/no value - and usually vastly overpriced to the consumer.

The plan was a choose a ring by a local designer in white gold.
    She fell in love with the silver version for a fraction of the price. Win!
    We can spend the rest on something useful.

For the wedding bands themselves, i have no issue with gold and, indeed, wouldn't have it any other way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    obviously i'm not saying spend hundreds on it or anything but at least something that looks nice and maybe has meaning behind it ??
    okay maybe £1 is a bit extreme ... i would be willing to stretch to £5 for a very special lady

:ahee:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.