Turn on thread page Beta

Do you feel pressured to buy your girlfriend the best engagement ring? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    My dad's companies are in transportation engineering haha so unfortunately they are different types of engineering.

I am not fussy about guys (or at least I think I am not fussy..).

I just want someone who is hardworking, educated, kind and appreciates the same things in life that i value.
    Ahh, that's a shame :P Well, they may have some connections. Does that make you rather well off then? And I assume you're at Uni already?

Well that's good to hear! What kinds of things in life do you value?

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to advertise my availability to whoever's offering the most money on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    Ahh, that's a shame :P Well, they may have some connections. Does that make you rather well off then? And I assume you're at Uni already?

Well that's good to hear! What kinds of things in life do you value?
    I have definitely had a privileged childhood, but my parents have always been firm believer in making a success for yourself rather than living off of your parents money.

Yes I am currently at university and I balancing part time jobs so that I can pay for travel expenses and course textbooks etc.

in terms of my values, I would really love to one day have a family of my own, so someone who also wants to have children would be great. I also have plans to travel whilst I am young so it would have to be someone who also shares my desire to travel.

What about you ? Are you in uni ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I can see there is a lot of of pressure on guys to get the best possible ring. I'm not going to lie, I do want a nice diamond ring (since it will be on my hand for the rest of my life), but I don't expect something ridiculously expensive.

My sister's engagement ring was £11,500 It's a stunning ring and the clarity is amazing.
    ****ing hell thats ridic... the one getting married to the ibanker?

ReputationRep:
    I spent ~£1500, less than one months salary post tax etc (About 75%).

Of course some girls will insist now that they don;t want anything or a £10 ring will do but when it's actually something you're planning on wearing for the rest of your life you'll want a half decent ring. You can get nice ones for a few hundred, no worries.

Did i feel pressure to buy a nice ring? Yea, a bit. Did i buy her the ring i did because of "pressure"? No, i bought it since it was my favourite of the ones i looked at. There were £500 nice rings and £2500 nice rings.

ReputationRep:
    I would give her a choice: the more expensive the ring, the longer it will take to save up for the 1st home, wedding etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I can see there is a lot of of pressure on guys to get the best possible ring. I'm not going to lie, I do want a nice diamond ring (since it will be on my hand for the rest of my life), but I don't expect something ridiculously expensive.

My sister's engagement ring was £11,500 It's a stunning ring and the clarity is amazing.
    12 Gs?!?.....fuark, how much does the guy she married make?

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend said the tradition is something like 2 months worth of wages so my ring (if going by tradition) would cost 3k

iv already told him the one i like is £200

but im not fussy i already know he'll get a pink gem as its my favourite colour

ReputationRep:
    And then you have to buy a new one I think for the 30th anniversary. Damn. You have to be a millionaire to be in a marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    I wonder what is a guys thought process when it comes to buying an engagement ring.
    She will have this ring for the rest of her life so...
    Yes, I cried when I saw the price

ReputationRep:
    We picked it together and ignored the 1 month salary 'rule'. Went to look at expensive rings but none of them felt right. It's a beautiful ring and I'm kinda sad I can't wear it anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To me as a girl, nothing stupidly expensive but, I do have quite expensive taste x.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.