Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bristol or Exeter? Please help me. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't choose. They're both equally good an reputable Russell Group universities but I don't know which to choose.
    Pros of Bristol: Great uni, Loveeely City and nightlife- lots to do, Big on sports, Closer to London and other bigger cities like Cardiff
    Cons of Bristol: Student union isn't very active apparently and it's not a campus so I'd expect there's less of a community feel? i don't know, rains quite a bit
    Pros of Exeter: Great uni, Beautiful Campus, Beach nearby, Very big on sports, Really nice community feel
    Cons of Exeter: Pretty but small city so I presume there isn't too much to do, Nightlife isn't the greatest-clubs shut early and stuff but students say they still have a good time
    Both unis are known for their attraction of 'Rahs' but I'm not too bothered about that lol
    Course structure is pretty much the same.
    Offers: AAA for Bristol AAB for Exeter
    What would you choose and why? I just don't want to end up spending 3 or more years somewhere and regret not making the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocapoca)
    I can't choose. They're both equally good an reputable Russell Group universities but I don't know which to choose.
    Pros of Bristol: Great uni, Loveeely City and nightlife- lots to do, Big on sports, Closer to London and other bigger cities like Cardiff
    Cons of Bristol: Student union isn't very active apparently and it's not a campus so I'd expect there's less of a community feel? i don't know, rains quite a bit
    Pros of Exeter: Great uni, Beautiful Campus, Beach nearby, Very big on sports, Really nice community feel
    Cons of Exeter: Pretty but small city so I presume there isn't too much to do, Nightlife isn't the greatest-clubs shut early and stuff but students say they still have a good time
    Both unis are known for their attraction of 'Rahs' but I'm not too bothered about that lol
    Course structure is pretty much the same.
    Offers: AAA for Bristol AAB for Exeter
    What would you choose and why? I just don't want to end up spending 3 or more years somewhere and regret not making the right choice.
    Bristol for sure. Exeter is not as reputable.
    Your cons - while the SU is indeed annoying and located awkwardly, it is false to say it is inactive, it is anything but.
    It is not a 'campus' per se, and the uni have been advocating it as more of a campus 'precinct'. It is not a city university, nor a campus traditionally, it is inbetween.
    Most of the uni is based around Clifton in the same area, with only a few halls etc further out, so it does feel like a student community. Pretty much anywhere you go around there in term time, bars etc, will be filled with students.
    (ps there's also beaches within short drives of Bristol)
    As for rain... it's England lol. It rains everywhere.

Hope that gives you a better idea of Bristol. I had Exeter as my insurance and glad I chose Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Exeter and I wouldn't say Bristol has a better reputation, depends on the subject though. The Exeter campus is great and means that everything is close by, so never have to get buses or anything. The sports teams are great and there is a wide variety for all standards. We are close to Dartmoor and the beach, which is great when you want to get away from Uni a bit. The nightlife isn't amazing but you get used to the early finishes and unless you are an obsessive clubber, there are enough clubs to give variety. Exeter City is lovely and there are quite a few things to do in the areas surrounding Exeter. Its only 2 and a half hours on the train to London and close to Bristol so you can take trips there. Accommodation I would say is better in Exeter, from hearing friends in Bristol talk, as there is so much choice on campus so you are very close to everything. There are so many combinations of halls (self catered, catered, ensuite/shared bathroom) so something to suit all budgets. Also most housing in Second and third year is really close by aswell, which is something I have heard can be a problem in Bristol but I don't know for sure. I feel wherever you choose, you will probably be happy as everyone I know at both uni's enjoy it. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    If you love both, you should hopefully be happy in both.

If the grade boundaries are different (and you are confident you can achieve the higher offer) then why not put Bristol as your firm and Exeter as your insurance?

Which one is nearer? Maybe travel costs/ accessibility could be another factor. Or which accommodation or course do you prefer?

At at the end of the day they're both great unis!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna put Bristol down as my firm and Exeter as my insurance.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.