Turn on thread page Beta

How did you get over your ex? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies in advance if this is a cliche thread however my girlfriend, of two years, broke up with me because she wanted a 'clean break' two nights ago despite being perfectly fine before then. I do suspect she was cheating due to the messages I found on her phone and some other things, sadly I overlooked them in hope that I was wrong. In your experience how have you gotten over these situations and moved on?

ReputationRep:
    Time. Patience. Remembering why it was a good idea to break up.

Sorry to hear about your break up :sad:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Break ups are horrible, only way to get over it is cut all forms of contact and try and go out with friends.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    So sorry to hear about your break up :sadnod: it sucks. Like Rock Fan said… staying in touch will only make it worse. Best way is to let them go and distract yourself. It'll be OK :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Beer. Staying resilient. A lot of time. Perhaps a rebound relationship can help if you can find one.

ReputationRep:
    get under someone else

Spoiler:
    Show
    im joking of course

but seriously, time and strong will power to forget them
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Most were short term (< 4 months) so I didn't really care very much to be honest. I probably dealt with them by just seeing other people as teenagers tend to do.

Following the breakdown of a 4+ year relationship I drank. A lot. Then I waited for it to feel better. I would have found it much easier to get over her if she had cheated actually as I would have instantly lost respect for her and felt like I had a lucky escape.

Sounds like you may have indeed had a lucky escape. Move on.

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing you can do is to cut all contact. After some months pass you may feel comfortable dating again.

If you want her back in your life as a friend then you should aim to keep no contact for as long as the relationship lasted to give yourself sufficient time to move on and not need her in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. This is my opinion, I think the only way you will get closure is if you know for sure that she cheated. You might have seen messages but maybe she didn't act on it i don't know. Also, don't get under someone else you might think that will help you but 9/10 you feel *****y afterwards. Friends and family are there to support you during this time. Sorry to hear about the break up but pour your heart into something that you like and channel your anger into something positive. I know that seems like a cliche thing to do but that helped me when my ex left. If you want to talk and vent your feelings out then private message me and I am happy to listen. I hope you feel better with time xxxx

ReputationRep:
    1) Eat chocolate digestives
    2) Cut contact
    3) Watch episodes of the Walking Dead

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you for all your responses . It's helped me to think what I'll do next.

ReputationRep:
    I know its cliche but all I can say is time.

Most importantly, take this time for massive self-care. Be extra nice to yourself. You deserve it.

Breakups are the worst. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.