Can someone help me with genome sequencing? OCR A2 Biology

Watch
Parrotperson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone explain to me this stage in genome sequencing as I really do not understand (it is the first stage) :

From top of pg 167 in OCR textbook:

'Genomes are first mapped to identify which part of the genome (I.e. Which part of the chromosome/ section of chromosome) they have come from. Information that is already known is used e.g. Using the location of micro satellites'

I understand everything else in the method apart from this. I thought a genome was the entirety of an organisms genetic information so how can its location on a genome be identified? Also, what is the purpose of the microsatelites?

Is this a mistake or am I just being really thick? Please help
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

manic.high.girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm struggling with this too, did you find the answer?
Parrotperson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by manic.high.girl)
I'm struggling with this too, did you find the answer?
Sadly no I asked my teacher and he looked into it but he didn't get it either :/
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Parrotperson)
Can anyone explain to me this stage in genome sequencing as I really do not understand (it is the first stage) :

From top of pg 167 in OCR textbook:

'Genomes are first mapped to identify which part of the genome (I.e. Which part of the chromosome/ section of chromosome) they have come from. Information that is already known is used e.g. Using the location of micro satellites'

I understand everything else in the method apart from this. I thought a genome was the entirety of an organisms genetic information so how can its location on a genome be identified? Also, what is the purpose of the microsatelites?

Is this a mistake or am I just being really thick? Please help
It looks like a mistake. Like you said, the genome is an organism's entire genetic information. It should say genes.
manic.high.girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look at figure 1 on page 166 and the text underneath, I think they meant that the 'BAC' location is identified on the genome. If that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.39%
No (280)
71.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed