Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a third year Law student at a top 10 university and I have just been diagnosed with dyslexia.

My prognosis was that I have dyslexia, mainly to do with my phonics and processing. Ultimately I process really slow and the educational psychologist said that I need extra time - he has recommended 50% extra time on both exams and assignments.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in going through the same issue (i.e. being diagnosed late in your degree) and having some of your assessments remarked.

My idea is on the pretense that if I had been diagnosed earlier, I would have both 50% extra time on both exams and assignments and there would have been notes on both to say that the student was dyslexic - and that they should take this into account.

I handed in a few of my assessments late over the years and got marks off.... but surely if I have been deserving extra-time (50%!) on all of them, the late marks should be removed.

Is it reasonable or even possible to push for a remark under these two ideas?

I know that my university off the bat will probably reject this - so that's why I was wondering if anyone else had successfully pushed for that.

If not, perhaps it's not a stretch to argue that this is discrimination to those with a disability?

I don't want to push for my work to be remarked on merit, if it was a bad essay, it was a bad essay. However, even as someone who writes better essays than exams - I have been performing mediocre in my degree. Maybe it's because it's hard and it's law or I thought maybe it's just me being not that clever.... but this seems to explain the problem I think.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Have you spoke to the disability services at your uni? I'm sure they can advise you on this.

ReputationRep:
    I am waiting for the report from the psychologist then I will meet with the people at disability services and I am meeting my personal tutor on Tuesday but I want to know other experiences before then too. They really suck at re-marking stuff so I am sure I already know their automatic answer if I don't make a strong case or kick up a fuss.. just wondering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busvvanker)
    I am waiting for the report from the psychologist then I will meet with the people at disability services and I am meeting my personal tutor on Tuesday but I want to know other experiences before then too. They really suck at re-marking stuff so I am sure I already know their automatic answer if I don't make a strong case or kick up a fuss.. just wondering!
    Is there a disability or student welfare officer in your SU? I wonder if it might be worth speaking to them and seeing what their opinion of the situation is?

I don't know if you'll get remarks or not, and it's probably very hard to mark something with the view of "they deserved extra time and could have done better if they had this". Another option might be to ask to retake the assignments handed in late under the new conditions- but this might be a lot of extra work at a time when it's just not feasible.

It would be really nice if you could get the late mark penalties removed if you were within the 50% extra time- if this would make a big difference, that might be a goal to aim for?

ReputationRep:
    I received a similar diagnosis of dyslexia around the end of my first year in Physics. I often failed exams anyway, so I was more in the position of being happy with anything I had passed, while feeling optimistic about future exams now that I'd be in a smaller exam hall with extra time. If you feel you would bump up your grade more than, say, 5 or 10% with the extra time, maybe it's worth asking to resit them. That would seem the only fair way to increase marks for specific papers. It's worth remembering that your department have the final say on your overall grade- if you make sure they are aware of your situation, and your final grade is borderline, they (should) have the power to award the higher grade on the grounds that you mentioned.

As for assignments, I asked about extra time and was told it wasn't applicable. I think they just expected me/us to use more of our 'spare time' to complete them. Sucks, but can sort of see the logic. Again, if you have big problems due to this, let your tutor know asap and you should have good grounds for an extension etc

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    My uni most of time, expect us just to get on with it and it's not easy to get extensions on assignments, I just have to spend more time than most on assignments, a lot of this third year I study on my weekends as well as every weekday. Am working currently on two assignments and I doubt some people on my course have even started them, am almost done with one and halfway through the other. I just start earlier than most and work at my own pace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.