Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump calls off Chicago rally following violent clashes Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Can you not tell the difference between Mussolini and Trump? Between populism and fascism?
    No, I can't. Can you please explain to me how what Trump says is not fascism please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    How is fascism different?
    He doesn't want to abolish democracy, create state-controlled corporations to lead the economy, or transform the education system into youth organisations controlled by his party.

ReputationRep:
    No, I can't. Can you please explain to me how what Trump says is not fascism please.
    No. I don't have time to school you.

Simply get a dictionary and look up the word fascism, consider some of the central tenets you read about (nationalism, totalitarianism, economic etc) and then explain to me why and how you think Trump fits in within what you've just read. Then do the same thing with populism. Look the word up and think of Trump in the terms of what that word means.

I'm sure, once you've done that, you'll agree that Trump is a populist but not a fascist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    He doesn't want to abolish democracy, create state-controlled corporations to lead the economy, or transform the education system into youth organisations controlled by his party.
    Exactly right. Trump's platform is simply devoid of practically all of the central tenets of fascism.

ReputationRep:
    That, my deluded friend, is fascism.
    Aren't you an Erdogan supporter? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlskep)
    Aren't you an Erdogan supporter? :laugh:
    No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I like how you use "we". Any involvement yourself or are you just an armchair revolutionary?
    Well I get called a leftist on here and guilt by association all the time even though I am just a keyboard lefty and have never been on any kind of march never mind actually erecting barricades or getting in violent stand offs. Whorace here said I need to be dealt with for my views :laugh:

I don't do anything meaningful outside arguing on forums and donating some measly sum to things like 38 Degrees. I do think use of force can be justified and a I think Cable Street stand off was on the whole a positive thing and I don't mind being associated with that kind of left wing disobedience.

I'd like to think you don't need to be particularly left wing or a revolutionary to stand up against fascists though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    So things get a little boisterous and the guy does a runner? He really needs to grow a spine I wants to be President.

It's comparable to the way he exploited the system the avoiding serving his country like a patriot.
    Why put himself in unnecessary danger over a violent mob who don't believe in democracy? Do you want him to fight the protesters himself? He won't be able to convince anyone in an environment like that it's not worth his time.

ReputationRep:
    Trump is live

Just a couple of protesters, one who looked like he was trying to get on stage and attack Trump.

More of Sanders people I take it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Well, as far as we know.

Same was said about Hitler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well, as far as we know.

Same was said about Hitler
    Not really. The Nazis were quite open about their platform, anti-Semtism was slightly downplayed during the campaigns but other than that it was clear they were a nationalist and statist party with xenophobic views. I'd argue Trump is a nationalist (not really though, his wife is Slovenian?), statist with respect to (some) social policy but the very opposite to the Nazis in terms of economic policy. He's probably much more liberal than most people give him credit for as he was a member of the Democrat party for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone bringing left-wingers in here as if they're to blame when the article doesn't identify the protestors? Or who actually started the fights? It simply says fights broke out between supporters and protesters who "waved flags and chanted".

Fundamentally opposing Trump doesn't make you left-wing, if it did half the republican party wouldn't be doing it, it just means you treat the election as more than a reality tv show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Not as bad as Sanders - he let a 'black lives matter' group disrupt his rally almost without a word of complaint
    god damn

i would have smacked those uncouth cretins right in the pecker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trump20I6)
    More of Sanders people I take it..
    your link doesn't work can you find a new one pls

also you should update your previous thread in which i showed what you said was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no Trump supporter, however I find it funny that these protestors don't see the hypocrisy in their actions.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with it. Politics is politics and in this situation Trump has the right to speak just as much as Muslims. I'd wonder what Muslims would do if someone did the same when they spoke out.

ReputationRep:
    More violent protests at a Trump rally today:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post63360485

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    What exactly did you want him to do? Whip out a pistol and start picking people of? You need to get real.
    I'd actually prefer it if he stopped with the violent rhetoric.

From his speeches you'd think there isn't a problem je doesn't think can be bombed put of existence, not to mention his threat to punch people who disagree with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    I'd actually prefer it if he stopped with the violent rhetoric.

From his speeches you'd think there isn't a problem je doesn't think can be bombed put of existence, not to mention his threat to punch people who disagree with him.
    I have no idea what your second sentence says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    I have no idea what your second sentence says.
    Just re-read that and admittedly it's truly awful, apologies.

What I mean to say is that Trump has hardly pulled back from violence in his campaign so far. From his thoughts on terrorism to the escalating violence against protesters at his rallies.
    At his own rally in Las Vegas he said a protester needed to be punched in the face, now violence has erupted between his supporters and protesters. He has stoked this up and he has to accept that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.