Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm new so forgive me if I'm posting on the wrong part of forum.

I'm in Year 11 and I have a question to students who take Maths A-level and have taken it at GCSE also.

Did you use two separate calculators for GCSE and A-level? If not, what calculator can you use for both? In my school, there are separate calculators for GCSE and A-level.

I'm asking because I lost my GCSE calculator and I really don't want to pay for another overpriced one with a few months left, so it would be great if I could buy an A-level calculator now instead of buying a GCSE one, then buying an A-level one. The problem is, I don't know if A-level calculators are allowed into a GCSE exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I do Maths and Further Maths.. I was kinda in the same position as you last year. I currently use the Casio FX991ES for both Maths and FM. It does exactly the same functions as the Casio 83GT (The GCSE one) but with more features like Matrices, solving differential equations...etc

I'd go with the FX991ES, costs a bit more but has more functions which could be useful for GCSE, as far as I know, It can be used for GCSE as well as AS and A2.
    Some people use Graphic Calculators for AS but I never saw the need..

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, but I've just read the equipment guide for the GCSE exams and it says that calculators must not offer symbolic algebra manipulation, differentiation or integration. Oh well, looks like I'll have to borrow one / buy a new one then sell it.

ReputationRep:
    The Casio ones they sell in like Tesco and stuff (the one that comes in blue and pink) is suitable for GCSE and A Level and I use the pink one and it's great much better off doing that than borrowing one from school, I know a boy who did his GCSE on a borrowed calculator then realising at the end he was in the wrong mode the whole time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.