Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My other tonsil got infected whilst on penicillin? Watch

ReputationRep:
    1 week today I went to the doctor as my left tonsil was badly infected so they said it was bacterial tonsillitis and to take penicillin for 10 days. I have been taking it everyday, following exact instructions how to do so and my left tonsil has got better but now my right tonsil has got swollen and the pus etc.. it doesn't hurt, it's just a little annoying when I swallow food or drink. How come this got infected whilst I've been on peniciliin for a week. This was completely fine last week. Also if I have been on penicillin for a week now is my tonsillitis contagious?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's caused by a different bacterial species to your originally infected tonsil. Also, the bacteria causing the infection in your second tonsil might be unaffected by penicillin.

See your doctor!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jroo)
    1 week today I went to the doctor as my left tonsil was badly infected so they said it was bacterial tonsillitis and to take penicillin for 10 days. I have been taking it everyday, following exact instructions how to do so and my left tonsil has got better but now my right tonsil has got swollen and the pus etc.. it doesn't hurt, it's just a little annoying when I swallow food or drink. How come this got infected whilst I've been on peniciliin for a week. This was completely fine last week. Also if I have been on penicillin for a week now is my tonsillitis contagious?

Thanks
    Go see you doc. Its possible for it to happen. Antibiotics can cause infections by getting rid of some of the good bacteria tat defends, sometimes it can be viral or have other causes and i'm sure there are loads of other reasons. Unfortionately antibiotics can be a bit uncertian. It is possible for tonsilitis to lead to complications so you may want to look them up quickly just since yours is apparently deciding to be a pain. I wouldn't worry though.

Treat it as you would a new bout of tonsilitis to be safe and don't go spittiing on people or anything. Should be just as simple as the last one, just unlucky.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.