Come out or lock the closet and throw away the key watch

ReputationRep:
    RUFUS GET OUT THE BED

Hello TSR,

NAME-SAM/DEBBERS/KITTY

AGE-19

SEXUAL ORIENTATION-GAY

PARENTS-ORPHAN

Cut a long story short... Do i tell my foster parents (AND 5 dalmatians) that I am gay or not..? I really don't think they'd appreciate my emotions, I can't help it i suppose i just need some veteran opinions, thanks.
    I'll leave out saying that i fancy my foster dad too..?

Regards,

DOBSQUANA
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Being gay: it's up to you. You don't have to - how much contact are you going to have with them?

Telling him about fancying him: don't go there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by sammyd12345)
    RUFUS GET OUT THE BED

Hello TSR,

NAME-SAM/DEBBERS/KITTY

AGE-19

SEXUAL ORIENTATION-GAY

PARENTS-ORPHAN

Cut a long story short... Do i tell my foster parents (AND 5 dalmatians) that I am gay or not..? I really don't think they'd appreciate my emotions, I can't help it i suppose i just need some veteran opinions, thanks.
    I'll leave out saying that i fancy my foster dad too..?

Regards,

DOBSQUANA
    First, tell the dalmatians- they deffinately won't care.

I've not had an experience like this so i can't tell you any story or what to expect, but I would suggest you be open with them. It's going to eat you up otherwise. Maybe start with just one or write them a note so it's less preasure? You'd probably be supprised with how supporting they can be. Even realy anti-gay people will often change their views when they see that somebody they love and like is gay because it humanises it. And if they aren't capable of dealing with it then you will be fine. There is always support out there.

Does anybody else know like a friend? You could talk it through with them first.

You could also see a counselor or talk to a charity (I only know samaritans and childline but there are ones specificaly for sexuallity too) if nothing else than to talk things out with somebody you never have to see again.

The fancying your foster dad thing sounds bad, but honestly i don't think it's too unusual for somebody in your situation so try not to beat yourself up about it. He's a caring figure for you and you probably have some insecurities from being an orpan. That mixed with identity issues from being in the closet could certinally give you odd feelings for him and even lead to you fancying him. If you'd like that is certinally someting you could discuss with a counselor/ therapist (a lot of schools/ colleges/ unis have counseling servises linked to them that you could use "covertly" if you would feel embarassed). I expect that's something you aren't really up tosharing with most people.

I hope you can come to a decision and that it all goes well.

By the way, although I don't have experience in this particular are I have had to break big news to my parents before and it was never as bad as I thought it would be. I told them I had mental health problems once (and made a total hash of it) and although they didn't really understand it and they were worried about it they accepted me and over time understood it more. I know it's not the same, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Come out, hopefully you'll feel more at ease after and will receive support I hope x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.