Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a computer programmer but I'm not sure which options would help me to achieve this ( except computing/computer science). Can somebody help me?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by alliebaba)
    I want to become a computer programmer but I'm not sure which options would help me to achieve this ( except computing/computer science). Can somebody help me?
    As long as you get good grades in maths and english then you should just pick subjects which you will enjoy and get good grades in really

ReputationRep:
    I do computer science current at GCSE (im in year 11) ans personally i also really enjoy triple science as they require similar thinking! Another thing you could take to compliment this is Business Studies even though they are completely different they both require analytical skills i personally enjoy these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As long as you get good grades in maths and english then you should just pick subjects which you will enjoy and get good grades in really
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I want to start my own business or become a pharmacist, I am deciding my gcse choices at the moment and deciding on whether I should pick media studies or computer science.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Shsams)
    I want to start my own business or become a pharmacist, I am deciding my gcse choices at the moment and deciding on whether I should pick media studies or computer science.
    I would say that generally for those careers it does not matter which you choose however computer science is probably better respected. I have found some of computer science to overlap slightly with business studies so it could potentially be slightly helpful in the future with regard to laws, legislation etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    I would say that generally for those careers it does not matter which you choose however computer science is probably better respected. I have found some of computer science to overlap slightly with business studies so it could potentially be slightly helpful in the future with regard to laws, legislation etc.

Thanks
    And what subjects should I pick if I do want to start my own business or become a pharmacist
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks
    np

ReputationRep:
    What subjects should I pick if I want to start my own business or become a
    Pharmacist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ume Hussain)
    I do computer science current at GCSE (im in year 11) ans personally i also really enjoy triple science as they require similar thinking! Another thing you could take to compliment this is Business Studies even though they are completely different they both require analytical skills i personally enjoy these.
    ##]

What board are you doing?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks
    And what subjects should I pick if I do want to start my own business or become a pharmacist
    Business studies for business (kinda obvious lol). Triple science is good for pharmacy. A language is good for business as well.
    To get a good variety a humanity and something practical is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aditya5573)
    ##]

What board are you doing?
    Computer science the exam board is OCR and Business studies it is AQA

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ume Hussain;63419625]Computer science the exam board is OCR and Business studies it is AQA[/QU
    I think the exam board is AQA
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    [QUOTE=alliebaba;63442729]
    (Original post by Ume Hussain)
    Computer science the exam board is OCR and Business studies it is AQA[/QU
    I think the exam board is AQA
    AQA is a great exam board for computing! They give you a lot more guidance than OCR and there's also a lot less code out there which you aren't allowed to copy as there are just less copies out there. I'm in year 10 and we're half way through the second controlled assessment and it's great. The mark schemes are really detailed and are really helpful when doing your evidence for your code. With AQA you can do really well (not saying you can't with OCR just I feel AQA really helps you reach your potential).

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lemur14;63450289]

AQA is a great exam board for computing! They give you a lot more guidance than OCR and there's also a lot less code out there which you aren't allowed to copy as there are just less copies out there. I'm in year 10 and we're half way through the second controlled assessment and it's great. The mark schemes are really detailed and are really helpful when doing your evidence for your code. With AQA you can do really well (not saying you can't with OCR just I feel AQA really helps you reach your potential).
    Thanks a lot for your help Lemur14
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks a lot for your help Lemur14
    np

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.