Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone knows these off-campus accommodations?

- The Cube
    - Waterways
    - The Foundry

Ara they suitable for postgraduates?

ReputationRep:
    hi, the cube is in a really bad location to the uni as it is on the motorway road. I've lived in both the foundry and waterways and the foundry is a lot better. 20 minutes from uni walking and your at the centre of the town 20 minutes from the train station also.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    And what about the quality of the accommodation in The Foundry and Waterways?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, although they look pretty much the same and the quality of stuff is pretty good, personally i think The Foundry is nicer and they look after you better and if anything does go wrong or needs repairing it gets done pretty quick. I am happier here at the Foundry than i ever was at Waterway.

ReputationRep:
    Hi katieh73, thanks for the information. In terms of facilities such as kitchen area, laundry room, common spaces, which one offers the best services? For instance, is the kitchen wide enough for all students sharing the apartment? Do you have also your own cupboard and refrigerator? Just to know. I see there are also postgraduate accommodations on campus, such as John Phillips Hall. Is it better than Foundry and Waterways?

ReputationRep:
    hello,

kitchens at the Foundry definitely have room for more than 1 person at a time as they are in a square shape with breakfast bar area so plenty of room. If you have a look at the pictures on the website, they give you a rough idea of size. You don't get your own fridge but you get your own shelf in the fridge and the freezer and 1 cupboard per person in the apartment.

The laundry room is downstairs just off the reception area and is open 24/7 so everyone has plenty of time to do their washing and the common room is also open 24/7 and is quite a good space with a pool table etc and sofa and chairs to sit and watch the TV in their if you just want to get out of your room for a bit or have friends come over.

Re your question about the PG accommodation on site, i don't know to be honest as i don't know anyone who lives on site at all i'm afraid but what i will say is that i like the fact that when i have finished lectures, i come home to The Foundry and i am far enough away to get a bit of seperation from the uni, gives me a bit of 'breathing space'

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the information, katieh73.
    I will do a postgraduate course at Loughborough in October and from the middle of April I will have to apply for the accommodation, so I am considering different options. Actually, The Foundry seems really nice and it's also cheaper than on-campus halls.
    By the way, I sent you a PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kundalini82)
    Thank you for the information, katieh73.
    I will do a postgraduate course at Loughborough in October and from the middle of April I will have to apply for the accommodation, so I am considering different options. Actually, The Foundry seems really nice and it's also cheaper than on-campus halls.
    By the way, I sent you a PM.
    I wouldn't go on campus for PG, you'll get less for your money and have to put up with the noisy drunk undergrads

I lived in the cube and I agree with the other poster, it's miles away from town/the train station and only close to campus if you're doing engineering (and the buses are terrible), I think waterways is managed by the same company and tbh they were crap, I had massive problems there (won't go into it on a forum) but knew people at the foundry who got on well so I'd recommend there

ReputationRep:
    Hi doodle,
    I will stay in Engineering Department but I agree, The Cube is in an inconvenient location, and on-campus accommodations are more expensive. The Foundry seems perfect for postgraduates. I will bear it in mind.
    Useful information, thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi kundalini82

We look forward to welcoming you to campus in October

In your search for the right Accommodation there is Forest Court which is off-campus and there is private off-campus accommodation. The Student Accommodation Centre would advise you in particular to either Waterways or Kingfisher.

Waterways is in the Town Centre about 10-15mins walk, very close to Sainsburys and has a bus stop right outside, and a 10-15mins walk to the train station. Kingfisher is very close to the edge of campus, and 5-10mins to the centre of campus or the town.

You may already know that Student Accommodation Centre advertises accommodation for private landlords on Studentpad.
    (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode. insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-15277759-1', 'auto'); ga('require', 'displayfeatures', 'linkid', 'linkid.js'); ga('send', 'pageview');

Hope this helps,

Becky

(Original post by kundalini82)
    Hi doodle,
    I will stay in Engineering Department but I agree, The Cube is in an inconvenient location, and on-campus accommodations are more expensive. The Foundry seems perfect for postgraduates. I will bear it in mind.
    Useful information, thank you
    Hi, anyone knows these off-campus accommodations?

- The Cube
    - Waterways
    - The Foundry

Ara they suitable for postgraduates?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, Becky

ReputationRep:
    Another question about The Foundry.
    Regarding the utility bills (water and electricity), they told me that the rent package covers £300 per person for the tenancy.
    Is it enough?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.