Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So, I've decided to postpone adult hood (signing up for the doll after graduation) by applying for a Master degree course. If I miraculously graduate from Graphic design at Nottingham Trent, I would like to specialise in Illustration - particularly image making. The question is where should I apply?

    I'm looking for somewhere that has lots of freedom, is highly independent, but I can still receive help when I request it. Somewhere that focuses on finding your own style, and pushes experimentation and not adamant about narrative illustration work (as I suck at it). Plus lots of facilities to experiment and explore techniques (screen-printing etc). I don't want to apply anywhere that's overcrowded/oversubscribed as I've hated being in a large group full of strangers and fighting to get one-to-one tutorial times. If they have independent study areas for students that would be even better.

    I have a weird illustration style. If I wasn't using digital elements, I would describe it more as fine art because it's toxically rich in colours and abstract forms. I want to be on a course that helps push it further, and help learn how to apply it on more commercial platforms and for audiences. Rather than tell me to change it drastically into something else. I want to be on a course where people are used to weird unconventional s styles and how to approach it.

    Many Thanks!

    After reading your thoughts on how you'd prefer the MA course to be structured, I'd say an art school would be your best option.

    Have you tried looking at the websites of GSA, ECA, UCA or perhaps Slade?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.