Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently in year 12 and studying btec science, I'm expected Distinctions and will hopefully get into exeter to study environmental science
    However I am really unclear on how to become an Environmental Lawyer? I have asked many people and they have all told me different things.

Can someone tell me the most popular route on becoming an environmental lawyer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenBobby)
    Hello, I'm currently in year 12 and studying btec science, I'm expected Distinctions and will hopefully get into exeter to study environmental science
    However I am really unclear on how to become an Environmental Lawyer? I have asked many people and they have all told me different things.

Hi there.

If you can, choose modules and options with a law career in mind. You want to become an environmental lawyer, so try and choose options within your degree which relate to environmental law, regulations, etc. Of course, also choose options you enjoy, but just keep your future career in mind, too.

Once you graduate, you would need to undertake what's known as the "GDL" which is a one year conversion course into Law. From here, you could then apply for training contracts and/or apply for, and study the LPC.

Alongside this, try and get some commercial/research experience too. These things go hand in hand with environmental law.

Hope this helps.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Train at a firm that doesn environmental law. Do a seat in that department. Qualify, then carry on working in that department or look at being an in house lawyer for a related company.

As above the academic route wuld be to enhance your qualifications to degree level, then do the GDL to get you to the equivalent of a law degree, then to do the LPC as your vocational law course with all the other potential solicitors followed by training as above for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenBobby)

You'll need to research to find out which firms have strong environmental practices, and aim to do your training contract at one of them.

I warn you now, most environmental lawyers spend their time advising large corporations, not Greenpeace.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.