Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so how did every1 find it?? i couldnt do last question!!what was that about? :rolleyes: ... couldnt remember how to do the agriculture thing!!... and apparently my k2 value was also incorrect..what a lovely way to end biology A LEVEL (NO!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry- everyone at my school sed it was an evil paper. I found it pretty bad. I was so pissed off tht they didnt word the questions properly- the one on embryos for example. They didnt specify if they were talking about the physical properties of embryos that allow them 2 freeze or the uses of freezing them. Last question was yucky too and the one on maize.

ReputationRep:
    yea, i got really confused about the why question, had 2 read it like 3 times and i just put a loada random questions down, did u get 9:3:3:1 for the 1st question ratio? thought some of the questions were hard, esp the last one, but the essay ones were ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NNXX)
    Dont worry- everyone at my school sed it was an evil paper. I found it pretty bad. I was so pissed off tht they didnt word the questions properly- the one on embryos for example. They didnt specify if they were talking about the physical properties of embryos that allow them 2 freeze or the uses of freezing them. Last question was yucky too and the one on maize.
    i agree, that question was ambiguous...i just wrote EVERYTHING so hopefully i'll get some marks! i thought the rest of it was pretty ok though - nice long answer questions, had lots to say! glad biology is over now...just music and chemistry to go!

ReputationRep:
    I got 9:3:3:1 too. That was one of the only decent questions really. I thought it was difficult to get to the point in lots of questions. Quite worried-jus hope grade boundaries are low- they normally are. Last year it was 63/90 for an A. What did ppl put 4 the maize question? i.e. why they looked at museum sample and a sample from a different country. Found it hard to think of 5 points for the tissue type 5 mark question. Also didnt know why the cross was 9 3 3 1 when they're normally 9 3 4. Essays were good tho at least.
    One more thing, on the antibiotics question, what did ppl put for explaining the resistance when no antibiotic was given? I put smth bout no selection pressure, so resistant bacteria increase in number etc. I found myself ********ting a lot! lol

(Original post by NNXX)
    I put smth bout no selection pressure, so resistant bacteria increase in number etc. I found myself ********ting a lot! lol
    if there's no selection pressure, resistant bacteria wouldn't really increase in relative frequency. in fact, they generally have a slight selective disadvantage when the antibiotic they are resistant to isn't present.

I put that bacteria could acquire resistance e.g. in the children who were treated, and then the resistant bacteria can pass from child to child - or that via plasmid exchange the resistant bacteria could pass on their resistance to other bacteria either already in the child's nasal passage, or elsewhere that are then inhaled by the child.

I didnt think the 1% difference in resistant bacteria between no treatment and a few days of treatment was really significant.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was an ok paper actually. It went much better than Central Concepts did on tuesday. I didn't like the last question because I was quite short for time so I didn't have a chance to read it properly and actually make any sense of what it was saying! apart from that it was ok, not fantastic but not impossible.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.