The Student Room Group

A2 English CWK

I'm currently writing my first draft for my A2 coursework but I need to compare 3 texts and I have no idea what I' doing.
I was wondering whether someone could give me a structure which I can follow because at the minute it's looking like a mess.
For anyone interested I'm doing Postcards by Annie Proulx, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and the poetry of Robert Frost.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by michelecorrrea
I'm currently writing my first draft for my A2 coursework but I need to compare 3 texts and I have no idea what I' doing.
I was wondering whether someone could give me a structure which I can follow because at the minute it's looking like a mess.
For anyone interested I'm doing Postcards by Annie Proulx, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and the poetry of Robert Frost.
Thanks in advance!

I'm doing mine with a paragraph per theme/idea. I'm looking at power representation and whether destructive females are powerful, and the paragraphs I'm doing look at expressions of power, covert vs overt power, the nature of destruction and gender roles/fluidity. Within each paragraph I compare all three texts and have an intro and conclusion as well :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm doing mine with a paragraph per theme/idea. I'm looking at power representation and whether destructive females are powerful, and the paragraphs I'm doing look at expressions of power, covert vs overt power, the nature of destruction and gender roles/fluidity. Within each paragraph I compare all three texts and have an intro and conclusion as well :smile:

But how do you compare all three in detail? Because at the moment all my analysis of each text are in little sections and I will use one line to compare both of them which is not good.
But how do you compare all three in detail? Because at the moment all my analysis of each text are in little sections and I will use one line to compare both of them which is not good.

compare how they use the same techniques for similar and different effects, direct comparisons between characters - you need to integrate them and talk about things that are directly related together, rather than separating them by text :smile:
Thanks in advance!

I've heard of the first and last authors. The former being the author of Brokeback Mountain!

What I would do is set a theme of a least have a title. Then from that title, have 3 main points of argument.

Set 2 pieces as primary texts. I suggest you do the two prose and then use the poetry as your third text. So the sequence would be "Text A shows this. In comparison to Text B. Text B also shows this. However in Text C". So think of it like 45% Text A, 45% Text B and only 10% for Text C.
Reply 5
I did mine basically like this:

Introduction including the themes you're going to discuss.

Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 are overviews of each text including some small sentences on form, structure and context. They only need to be small.

I then moved onto themed paragraphs. For example Women/Relationships and explored them using historical context, using quotes and alternative interpretations and compare all three texts in this way - and make sure to do it equally. Take a look at the mark scheme too, that might give you some extra help!

Basically do this until you have like 500 words left of your word count and sum up your whole essay using those. Try not to go over your word limit, because i went over by 877 and now am in the process of trying to cut it down - it is not fun.

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Couid someone please help me with my english GCSE coursework?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending