Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by YourName___)
    how many hours altogether do you put into lectures+study+ everything else?

Thanks
    (Original post by Student403)
    Wouldn't this really differ by course?
    University degrees are designed to follow QAA guidelines of 10 hours study per credit. Most undergraduate years are 120 credits so thats 1,200 hours assumed work per year. Over a standard 30 week year that's 40 hours a week studying (either scheduled or independent).

Subjects and which year you're in don't affect this. Oxbridge shorter terms do and some undergraduate masters or accelerated degrees have 130-150 credits in one or more years so require more study.

Obviously if you're putting in efforts outside term time (over Easter/Christmas/summer breaks) then that reduces the term time workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    University degrees are designed to follow QAA guidelines of 10 hours study per credit. Most undergraduate years are 120 credits so thats 1,200 hours assumed work per year. Over a standard 30 week year that's 40 hours a week studying (either scheduled or independent).

Subjects and which year you're in don't affect this. Oxbridge shorter terms do and some undergraduate masters or accelerated degrees have 130-150 credits in one or more years so require more study.

Obviously if you're putting in efforts outside term time (over Easter/Christmas/summer breaks) then that reduces the term time workload.
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    What is the minimum hours I can do in a week to avoid getting kicked out over a 4 year period... do you think I could get away with 1 hour?
    not really it would depend on your time table for instance my uni said with lectures labs seminars and things I would be expected to work 37ish hours a week usually people expect 2 hours per subject vs 1 hour in lectures so if you had a 10 hours in lectures you'd do 20 hours out of class working on assignments researching or what have you.

Whatever you do though if you have any really extreme days (9-7with only 1 hour off for lunch was my worst) don't study on days like that save it for the weekend or whatever if you do you'll burnout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Careful with this strategy. At some unis, you have to pass both coursework and exams in order to pass a unit. At any uni I've been to, failing to hand in coursework would automatically result in a resubmission over the summer (if the uni allowed you to stay that long) and failure to hand in a resub would be a fail overall.

Not every lecturer will make meaningful lecture notes available. I had one who happily posted lecture presentations, but they were entirely pictures with no text. Useless for revision. You'll have trouble blagging notes from coursemates - once or twice maybe, but they'll eventually get sick of doing your work for you.
    I didn't say it was foolproof. You'd have to be a fool to try.

ReputationRep:
    how many hours altogether do you put into lectures+study+ everything else?

Thanks
    i normally try to put in a minimum of a ten hour week, but sometimes it is twenty. And that's extra work, not including lectures/seminar time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetsky)
    Same here (not engineering) but have mostly 9-4s.At the end of the day you're shattered
    At least it gives you a good excuse to relax at the weekend :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    At least it gives you a good excuse to relax at the weekend :cute:
    Yeah!!! When exam day looms you start thinking of all those hours you wasted :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my years in school [elementary and high school], there were 10 or 12 kids that never seemed to work. They were always out in the pasture - playing with their horses [they were rich kids]. Myself, i was running a paper route for spending money, and "booking it" all the rest of my time. I was getting C's D's and the occasional F, whilst they were getting straight A's. Undergrad college was a similar story. I couldn't figure out how they could do that and not study more than they did. My main problem was that i would study like crazy, and learn all kinds of stuff - but NONE of it would be on the exam. Finally, in graduate school, i figured out how to predict exam contents. After that, my workload went down by a factor of 4:1, and grades dramatically improved. THAT is what they'd been doing - all those years ago. Keep track of how many minutes the prof spends on each topic, and how much work he does: [just talk, multiply time by 1.0, draw on board, mult by 2 to 4, handouts, mult by 3 to 7, viewgraphs and projector, mult by 4 to 10. Add up all the time spent on each topic, then rank them from highest to lowest. Decide how many questions will be on the exam - and add about 40%. Learn everything there is to know about the high ranking topics. The first time i did this - i hit the exam 100%! I had EVERY question that was on the exam - and NO extras. The rest of my grad school career, the worst i ever did was 70% of the exam. I had several 100% hits. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hahah. I meant an hour a day -- accumulating to at least 7 hr/week. I am leaving to study in the US and need to make sure I stay in the university for as long as possible while simultaneously spending the least amount of time on uni work. Don't ask why
    Oh so you are trying to illegally acquire a different visa while on the student visa

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.