Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me a few hints for 12b. and 6?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippabethan)
    For Q6, resolve the velocity horizontally and vertically.

Horizontally: x=30t (x is horizontal displacement)

Vertically: \displaystyle y = 20t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 (y is vertical displacement)

Path of the projectiles means an equation of the form y = f(x), so you want to eliminate t from the second equation.

You know that t = \frac{x}{30}, so substitute that into your second equation and that'll give you the path (which will be a quadratic function of x, plotting it will look familiar to you, it'll be a maximum quadratic that models the path of the projectile quite literally).

ReputationRep:
    12 looks badass. I haven't seen this type before. For part 12a I think the idea is gradient=acceleration =g. But how did you mathematically show it? Mind sharing?
    For part 12B the idea is that they have different constant horizontal speeds I.e. rate of change of distance with time is different for each. I would like to see the solutions if you do them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrahmabull)
    12 looks badass. I haven't seen this type before. For part 12a I think the idea is gradient=acceleration =g. But how did you mathematically show it? Mind sharing?
    For part 12B the idea is that they have different constant horizontal speeds I.e. rate of change of distance with time is different for each. I would like to see the solutions if you do them!
    I'll post up the solutions if the OP doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    we are waiting ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    we are waiting ...
    As I am for the OP to reply...

ReputationRep:
    As I am for the OP to reply...
    sorry as I misunderstood ... just woke up
    I thought you were putting them up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, since I've done Q12 - might as well put this up, since you're not replying:

\displaystyle \mathbf{r}_{\theta} = (vt \cos \theta)i + (vt \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2}gt^2)j

\displaystyle \mathbf{r}_{\alpha} = (vt \cos \alpha)i + (vt \sin \alpha - \frac{1}{2}gt^2)j

So \mathbf{r}_{\theta} - \mathbf{r}_{\alpha} = vt(\cos \theta - \cos \alpha)i + vt(\sin \theta - \sin \alpha)j

The gradient of this line should be fairly easy to find, and it will be in terms of only \theta and \alpha, which are constants.

ReputationRep:

Horizontally: x=20t (x is horizontal displacement)

Vertically: \displaystyle y = 30t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 (y is vertical displacement)

Path of the projectiles means an equation of the form y = f(x), so you want to eliminate t from the second equation.

You know that t = \frac{x}{20}, so substitute that into your second equation and that'll give you the path (which will be a quadratic function of x, plotting it will look familiar to you, it'll be a maximum quadratic that models the path of the projectile quite literally).
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry everyone, my wifi stopped working all day :/ Thank you so much for your help!! I can post the answers now thebrahmabull if you still want them?

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, since I've done Q12 - might as well put this up, since you're not replying:

\displaystyle \mathbf{r}_{\theta} = (vt \cos \theta)i + (vt \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2}gt^2)j

\displaystyle \mathbf{r}_{\alpha} = (vt \cos \alpha)i + (vt \sin \alpha - \frac{1}{2}gt^2)j

So \mathbf{r}_{\theta} - \mathbf{r}_{\alpha} = vt(\cos \theta - \cos \alpha)i + vt(\sin \theta - \sin \alpha)j

The gradient of this line should be fairly easy to find, and it will be in terms of only \theta and \alpha, which are constants.
    I got the constant gradient part, but how do you find the rate of increase of distance? I think the formula v^2=u^2 + 2as is used because the answer involves a root.

ReputationRep:
    I got the constant gradient part, but how do you find the rate of increase of distance? I think the formula v^2=u^2 + 2as is used because the answer involves a root.
    Increasing at a constant rate means that the gradient of the distance separating them is positive. Can you prove that your answer to part (a) is positive?

ReputationRep:
    Increasing at a constant rate means that the gradient of the distance separating them is positive. Can you prove that your answer to part (a) is positive?
    Of course! Thank you, I'll give it a go tomorrow

ReputationRep:

Horizontally: x=20t (x is horizontal displacement)

Vertically: \displaystyle y = 30t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 (y is vertical displacement)

You know that t = \frac{x}{20}, so substitute that into your second equation and that'll give you the path (which will be a quadratic function of x, plotting it will look familiar to you, it'll be a maximum quadratic that models the path of the projectile quite literally).
    Wouldn't t=x/20 ? I got 400y = 600x -4.9x^2 as the final answer, but the book says it's 900y

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't t=x/20 ? I got 400y = 600x -4.9x^2 as the final answer, but the book says it's 900y
    Apologies, memory loss in the short time-span between reading the question from your picture and typing my stuff out, it's been fixed. The i direction would be horizontal, so the initial horizontal speed is 30, so it would be t = \frac{x}{30}.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how the rate of increase should equal u(2(1-cos(theta - alpha))^0.5.
    For a) I got (sin theta - sin alpha)/(cos theta - cos alpha)

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    we are waiting ...
    Lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.