Turn on thread page Beta

Problem: exam over, caught still writing watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Examiners are strictly told to say you must stop straight away
    Some tell u to finish the sentence u r on, some dont, but it doesn't make a difference anyway, because when they say it, they say it just before the exam is suppose to end anyway. My school uses an analogue clock which can be very inaccurate, I prefer it if they have a stopwatch or digital clock - makes life easier. I personally use my countdown on my watch, and I hate it when they tell u to finish 1 minute earlier or something :mad:

(Original post by billster)
    I know, under any other circumstance i'd view this as trivial, but the examiner's tone and expression said it all, he's out to get me! :mad: Our school's exam inviligators aren't even teachers, they just come in randomly when exam period is upon us.
    How come ur school get invigilators instead of using teachers/subs? that's a bit stupid. Anyway, he must have written down yer details for some reason, BUT there is also a chance he's just playing 'bluff'.

Even if u told the principal, the case is still against u, so what I advice is, try to find the invigilator, and then apologise but dont mention about him writing down yer details, just *pretend* u dont know/forgot about it. Coz if u start asking about it after apologising, he's bound to say something like: "Sorry, but rules are rules", however, if u dont ask about it, there's still a chance of him to think to himself "nah, I can't be arsed to report it, too much effort, and he's apologised anyway".

That's my suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    I think the dude may indeed have been the chief exams officer, because he's definitely not a teacher. What annoys me is that, in addition to shouting at me in the silent exam hall, he felt it necessary to further harass me on the stairs.

That is something you should take up with the school, depending how strongly you feel about it. It has happened and the school may just say that they cannot do anything about it, but if you feel that a remark against you may have been made, there is no harm talking to a teacher about it. The teacher may well be on your side...you never know until you try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    Some tell u to finish the sentence u r on, some dont, but it doesn't make a difference anyway, because when they say it, they say it just before the exam is suppose to end anyway. My school uses an analogue clock which can be very inaccurate, I prefer it if they have a stopwatch or digital clock - makes life easier. I personally use my countdown on my watch, and I hate it when they tell u to finish 1 minute earlier or something :mad:

How come ur school get invigilators instead of using teachers/subs? that's a bit stupid. Anyway, he must have written down yer details for some reason, BUT there is also a chance he's just playing 'bluff'.

Even if u told the principal, the case is still against u, so what I advice is, try to find the invigilator, and then apologise but dont mention about him writing down yer details, just *pretend* u dont know/forgot about it. Coz if u start asking about it after apologising, he's bound to say something like: "Sorry, but rules are rules", however, if u dont ask about it, there's still a chance of him to think to himself "nah, I can't be arsed to report it, too much effort, and he's apologised anyway".

That's my suggestion.
    As i said before, if he was an all-right person, i'd have no problem with apologising, but he isn't! If i do end up getting penalised for this, i will fight it - he was being entirely unprofessional in his conduct. I mean, in other exams he didn't even batter an eyelid at people writing over-time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    That is something you should take up with the school, depending how strongly you feel about it. It has happened and the school may just say that they cannot do anything about it, but if you feel that a remark against you may have been made, there is no harm talking to a teacher about it. The teacher may well be on your side...you never know until you try!
    yeah, I agree. If worse comes to worse, just find a teacher that will side with u, and then mention the harrassment.

What kinda school is yers? coz it's strange how none of yer teachers are invigilators or an exam officer.....

ReputationRep:
    As i said before, if he was an all-right person, i'd have no problem with apologising, but he isn't! If i do end up getting penalised for this, i will fight it - he was being entirely unprofessional in his conduct. I mean, in other exams he didn't even batter an eyelid at people writing over-time...
    That's a good approach to take. Don't create too much of a scene until you know that you have been penalised

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but the thing is, he's got the power. And there's no evidence of people still writing over time, and if u drag these people in, that's not good....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    yeah, but the thing is, he's got the power. And there's no evidence of people still writing over time, and if u drag these people in, that's not good....
    but he alone shouldn't let himself get penalised for something that lots of others did as well

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the exam board will do anything at all.

And I doub the person who caught you with write to them.

ReputationRep:
    true, even if they do tell the exam board, they have more serious things to worry about...like leaked papers for example! someones mobile went off in the bio exam today, thats much worse than writing a few words!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphira)
    true, even if they do tell the exam board, they have more serious things to worry about...like leaked papers for example! someones mobile went off in the bio exam today, thats much worse than writing a few words!
    The way he just shouted at me was like he caught me with little scraps of paper with the answers written on them shoved down my pants or something. Totally ott. But yes, i'm just gonna wait till results day, if something appears amiss, i'll fight it - i mean, 30 measly seconds! Surely the exam board would have more serious issues to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    No worries old boy. A quick check of the malpractice guidence on www.jcgq.org.uk shows that this is graded as a levl 1 offence - writing for a short period after being told to stop and will if reported be met with a written warning. Do not worry. If he reports it you will have to make a staement and be shown a copy of the malprice report form.
    This is the definitive answer - do not listen to anybody who tells you different.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will hapen, infact, if he did send a letter to the exam board saying anything, theyd probably just laugh at him.

Personally, I dont stop writing until I get told again. If I need to that is. I always just carry on and then the invigilator usually shouts 'Gary, please stop writing'

ReputationRep:
    HAHA yea i do the same. I keep writing until the teacher reaches my desk and asks for the paper

ReputationRep:
    Blah

ReputationRep:
    nah don't worry. It probably wasn't someone important anyway. At my college anyway most of the invigilators are sad people with no jobs/families/friends and nothing better to do. One man has been doing my exams since year 9, it's terribly sad.

They don't time the thing to the second usually anyway do they? I'm sure my exam finished about 30 seconds early today. I can't see that they would disqualify you. I bet the absolute worst that would happen is that they deducted a mark from the last question but that probably won't happen either so chill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AcerBen)
    nah don't worry. It probably wasn't someone important anyway. At my college anyway most of the invigilators are sad people with no jobs/families/friends and nothing better to do. One man has been doing my exams since year 9, it's terribly sad.

They don't time the thing to the second usually anyway do they? I'm sure my exam finished about 30 seconds early today. I can't see that they would disqualify you. I bet the absolute worst that would happen is that they deducted a mark from the last question but that probably won't happen either so chill
    Yeah, i know what you mean, non-teaching-staff invigilators are a completely random bunch. They, or at least the bloke who told me to stop writing and took my details, seem completely out of place - stoney-faced and very standoffish and unfriendly: hardly fit the quota for working with young adults in a college environment.

(Original post by InterCity125)
    No worries old boy. A quick check of the malpractice guidence on www.jcgq.org.uk shows that this is graded as a levl 1 offence - writing for a short period after being told to stop and will if reported be met with a written warning. Do not worry. If he reports it you will have to make a staement and be shown a copy of the malprice report form.
    This is the definitive answer - do not listen to anybody who tells you different.
    Cheers for that! I'm still thinking of making a formal complaint though, because i'm still peeved at his behaviour, which was completely unprofessional. I don't think he took down my details simply because he was being pedantic by the exam regulations - he actually shouted at me in an aggressive tone in a silent hall whilst other exams were still ongoing; and, if that wasn't bad enough, he waited for me to leave the exam hall (where he was waiting halfway down the stairs) to have another go at me! I'm not trying to be difficult or cause trouble, but his behaviour was frankly quite unnecessary - i'm stressed out enough as it is, without having to deal with (implicit) threats of being reported to the exam board - i mean, just look at all the mental distress it's caused me! :mad: Anyway, cheers once again for that :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, in my school they're REALLY strict about stuff like this. They won't even let us finish the word we're writing. Lots of my exams end mid-word or just a scribble. It's really frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    In our school teachers kinda encourage you to write for extra 1-2 m,inutes they say exam is oveer finish your "last" sentence and then slowly start to move towards the end of the exam room and then slowly start collecting papers so by the time they come to the frond it takes them about 3 minutes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.