Turn on thread page Beta

What to do re leaving uni/transfer? Opinions please :) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place so please feel free to move it.

This is a kind of 'What would you do?' post.

I am a first year podiatry student at Birmingham Metropolitan College. Unfortunately, the course has been extremely disorganised to the degree no one in the year is happy and I have become resentful and apathetic towards it. The college has really done us a disservice, and I have heard the second and third years also have issues too.

We have had a meeting with the tutor and aired all our concerns. Some issues however cannot be resolved this academic year.

My question is: do I put up with this and hope it gets better next year and sort of 'get over it'? Or, do I transfer (if allowed) to another Uni into second year, which means having to move from home (not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things but still a factor) and start again.

I feel that I might be behind other places if I transfer to another uni straight into the second year due to being at a disadvantage at this college. So my final option is to apply for first year intake and start afresh.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're not happy, I wouldn't stay on for second year. There's no point staying somewhere you're not happy.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would move to another university. I would rather transfer into second year than start again as a first year, but that would be your decision to make. You're paying for a service that you're not fully satisfied with, and you can't guarantee that it will improve that significantly for next year. I hope you make the decision that's right for you, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. I am leaning towards transferring straight to second year.

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I would only transfer if that other uni was better than your current one and if it will be beneficial to you after you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of transferring into second year, but for personal reasons rather than a problem with the university I'm at now. If you do go through with the transfer, I hope it goes well and you are successful! Do update and let us know what you pick

ReputationRep:
    good luck in transferring. its interesting to read your comments as I have applied to five podiatry choices, have 3 offers, one interview to go, and STILL haven't heard from my 5th option, BMet whether or not I am rejected before interview or invited for interview. I asked a (gentle) question about timescales and got a very snippy response, and I thought how rude I am not bothered about this college!

ReputationRep:
    I've had the exact same situation and I'm hoping to drop out and get a job. The whole thing has made me very jaded about university, and I don't really want to start another course at 21, I can't get by thinking I might not get a proper job until I'm 24 or 25. Even if I did want to go back to university, I'm not sure what course I'd do.

I'm so annoyed that I wasted so much time and money on this. I could have spent that really productively, or at the very least enjoyed it. Instead I got what has probably been the most miserable year of my life, coupled with the feeling that I've been conned by my uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comments guys. Good luck SarahhLouisee

PompompaDour, yes I have been very dissatisfied with the lack of organisation on the course, amongst other things. May I ask who your snippy response was from? Where are your other offers from? I've heard Northampton has the best reputation. I wish I'd have gone there in the first place! I would recommend going to an actual Uni, BMet's facilities for study are dire, you have to go to the Walsall campus if you want a decent library and study areas. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

gundog48, really sorry to hear you've had a crap experience. I have already done a year at a uni and dropped out (some 8 years ago) and am in my late 20s now. Please don't worry about your age, there are people on my course in their late 40s and it's never too late.

I was 20 when I dropped out of my first uni after getting virtually nothing out of the year (except depression and a fail!) I got a job for three years then went travelling for a couple of years. While away I swore to come home and do a vocational degree so I had a specific skillset to get a good job. It is very disappointing to say the least. What were you doing/where? Have you thought about some 'fun' time out? PM me if you want to chat. Sounds our situations are similar.

Thanks all x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tvdinner)

PompompaDour, yes I have been very dissatisfied with the lack of organisation on the course, amongst other things. May I ask who your snippy response was from? Where are your other offers from? I've heard Northampton has the best reputation. I wish I'd have gone there in the first place! I would recommend going to an actual Uni, BMet's facilities for study are dire, you have to go to the Walsall campus if you want a decent library and study areas. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

gundog48, really sorry to hear you've had a crap experience. I have already done a year at a uni and dropped out (some 8 years ago) and am in my late 20s now. Please don't worry about your age, there are people on my course in their late 40s and it's never too late.

I was 20 when I dropped out of my first uni after getting virtually nothing out of the year (except depression and a fail!) I got a job for three years then went travelling for a couple of years. While away I swore to come home and do a vocational degree so I had a specific skillset to get a good job. It is very disappointing to say the least. What were you doing/where? Have you thought about some 'fun' time out? PM me if you want to chat. Sounds our situations are similar.

Thanks all x
    Thanks for the advice! I did take a gap year before I started at university, did some work, had some fantastic experiences travelling and really developed my hobbies, it was great! I've discovered that I have a serious passion for brewing, I never really considered how far into it I was until discussing the way students are supposed to be self-motivated to study outside of the course requirements, which is an idea I've grown resentful of with my university, but then it dawned on me that I am constantly reading 'boring' stuff about yeast/bacteria culturing, enzymes and hop oil composition (a lot of this being stuff I hated back when I did GCSE biology and chemistry!) and found that I was just doing this for fun!

I probably know about it to have a huge head start if I were to do a degree on something like fermentation sciences, but even if I wanted to I don't think I have the right A-Levels. I'm looking to get in from the ground up, start at the bottom, gain experience, either move up or apply elsewhere. Once you have experience in a brewery doing anything, it puts you in a really good position. The job won't be 'good' for a few years, but compared to paying for university for 3 years, it comes off very favourably!

It's not so much strictly an age thing for me- more of a life progression thing. If I found a course I wanted to do that got me somewhere I wanted to be, I wouldn't have a chance to get a real job until 24-25. That's pretty deep into my life to still be in education and not be working my way towards getting a house or something. At this stage I'm really ready to just put education behind me and get on with the next part of my life. The job I do on the side is about 15 hours a week of packing and labelling veg solo in a cold store, and you know, I come home from there feeling pretty accomplished. If I didn't do my job, the business would grind to a halt. I'm given the responsibility of looking after the warehouse, taking deliveries, doing paperwork, and order picking. The boss treats me like an adult and trusts me, and at the end of the day I come home a bit better off. It's work I'd most definitely class as '*****y', but yet it's rewarding to me. Meanwhile at uni I'm treated like I should be thankful for the privilege of getting ripped off and not trusted to make decisions that only effect us- plus every day I come home a bit poorer and more pissed off!

I'm honestly at a stage where I think I need to get away from it for the sake of my own sanity! I keep catching myself being a cynical, bitter ********- I can see it happen. Everyone used to know me as a pretty fun-loving guy who's maybe a bit eccentric with his interests, but now I'm just a passionless grumpy guy.

I think, with Easter holidays next week, I'm going to do a bit of hiking, an overnight expedition at least. Just time to think with no distraction, not even my hobbies to weigh me down. I need time to think about things properly, because these days I'll fill all the time I have with something and never really pause to think properly. It'll be nice to pause to think about this stuff, and I think these 'hard decisions' will become pretty easy and clear!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Sounds to me like you already know the answer

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

PompompaDour, yes I have been very dissatisfied with the lack of organisation on the course, amongst other things. May I ask who your snippy response was from? Where are your other offers from? I've heard Northampton has the best reputation. I wish I'd have gone there in the first place! I would recommend going to an actual Uni, BMet's facilities for study are dire, you have to go to the Walsall campus if you want a decent library and study areas. If you have any questions feel free to PM me Hi, sorry to take so long, I withdrew my application for BMet as they invited me to an interview 3 MAY, which is too late, I want to respond to Ucas 5 May. Gives a bad impression if they take months to shortlist for interview. I think anywhere is better than Bmet, everyone I spoke to so far spoke highly of Northampton, Huddersfield and Salford, but that could be cos Im from up NORTH

Thanks all x

Hi, sorry to take so long, I withdrew my application for BMet as they invited me to an interview 3 MAY, which is too late, I want to respond to Ucas 5 May. Gives a bad impression if they take months to shortlist for interview. I think anywhere is better than Bmet, everyone I spoke to so far spoke highly of Northampton, Huddersfield and Salford, but that could be cos Im from up NORTH

ReputationRep:
    Hi i hope that by now you have managed tp sort out your situation. I have been offered a place at Birmingham for podiatry this year but after reading some posts about people transferring I am having second thoughts and wondered if you wouldn't mind giving me some further info on the problems you encountered. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

thanks very much

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place so please feel free to move it.

This is a kind of 'What would you do?' post.

I am a first year podiatry student at Birmingham Metropolitan College. Unfortunately, the course has been extremely disorganised to the degree no one in the year is happy and I have become resentful and apathetic towards it. The college has really done us a disservice, and I have heard the second and third years also have issues too.

We have had a meeting with the tutor and aired all our concerns. Some issues however cannot be resolved this academic year.

My question is: do I put up with this and hope it gets better next year and sort of 'get over it'? Or, do I transfer (if allowed) to another Uni into second year, which means having to move from home (not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things but still a factor) and start again.

I feel that I might be behind other places if I transfer to another uni straight into the second year due to being at a disadvantage at this college. So my final option is to apply for first year intake and start afresh.

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi firemountain,

I have just enrolled for my second year at BMet. I'm not really looking forward to it but I am hoping it will improve this year. I didn't want to upsticks to Northampton.

Some of the problems have been:

- Unsuitable tutors (hard to understand, poor teaching style, over-teaching). It took them a while to take action on this one, resulting in exam dates having to be moved back and general worry and confusion.
    - Lack of organisation - we only just got our timetable for 2nd year and we start back next week
    -Confusion over exam dates - one tutor admitted to forgetting an exam date!
    -Two key staff members left at the same time (speaks volumes really) and as a result the clinical sessions were thrown into disarray. Even though there are new staff members now it was nowhere near as good as it was with the previous staff - there's no discipline, tutors standing round chatting, no direction.
    -Difficulty getting feedback on assignments
    -Lack of structure in lectures
    -DIfficulty in getting a response over the summer- people were trying to organise childcare but had no response from tutors
    -Staff late to lectures

I have felt many times a complete lack of respect from the staff at BMet.

As I said, I'm hoping it'll pick up this year but won't hold my breath - apparently it has been like this for years.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am sure most places are not without their troubles but this place is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping it will pick up too, do you not have student year reps?

Im due to start Sept 17

I had a great interview and impression was a damn site better than when I went 2 years ago

The 2 people interviewing me 2 years ago were rude, obnoxious and frankly I felt they couldnt have cared less.

This time, my interview was how I would have excpected and they were both very warming and accommodating. I think things will change, they have to change, they couldnt be any worse thats for sure.

It does concern me about the facilities - as a mature student - but always ways round it, I went to plymouth and they have a vending maching and area for student which seat about 40 - i thought imagine that with all the groups of Allied Health professionals on breaks at one time and - you cant exactly walk somewhere easily for lunch. Clinics off campus too I remember

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.