Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know some universities require the UKCAT where's some require the BMAT to be taken. However if I apply to 4 medical schools it is likely I will apply to one which asks for UKCAT and another which asks for BMAT, and so will I need to sit both exams?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need to sit both. However, you sit the UKCAT before you apply and the BMAT after, so if the UKCAT goes really well you may want to apply to more universities that require the UKCAT/vice versa

ReputationRep:
    Ideally I'd advise you to select more UKCAT universities than BMAT. Normally its 3 UKCAT and 1 BMAT. The is because the BMAT is sat after you sent your application off and so can be very unpredictable. Though it depends on the unis you want to go for and your confidence in exams like the BMAT.

But to answer your question. Yes, you must sit both or your application will be incomplete and rejected.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will. More universities require the UKCAT though and you get the result straight after you sit it so it may be wiser to apply to at least 2 UKCAT unis.

ReputationRep:
    If u apply to four medical school you can base ur decision on whether they do ukcat or bmat. If you did well in ur ukcat then you can apply to 4 ukcat universities. If you did bad then you can apply to four bmat. It's not like a random process where after u apply u get told of its ukcat or not. It depends on your preference.
    If your other stats provide u an advantage for a certain university and they do BMaT then it's best to apply there for an advantage.
    It completely relies on which university you choose and it's not random or unknowingly chosen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.