Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If sexuality is a sliding scale and varies for everyone say a guy was 80% straight and 20% gay but still fell under the "straight" label does this mean hes mostly attracted to women and would experience the odd attraction to men but wouldnt be interested in acting on it with a man,only women
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is indeed a continuum.

It's made up of a number of things, including attraction, identity and behaviour - 'thought and word and deed'. They don't have to be (and are often not) exactly the same, so it's possible for someone to be mostly attracted to women, call themselves straight, and never do anything with men... or be mostly attracted to men, call themselves gay and only be sexual with women... etc.

I get the sense that you're asking about someone else - a boyfriend? If so, you'll need to ask him whether he'd be interested in being sexual with another man. If you make it clear that that would be ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, you may not get an honest answer; if it's clear that it's something you can talk about, you should both find it easier to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    It is indeed a continuum.

It's made up of a number of things, including attraction, identity and behaviour - 'thought and word and deed'. They don't have to be (and are often not) exactly the same, so it's possible for someone to be mostly attracted to women, call themselves straight, and never do anything with men... or be mostly attracted to men, call themselves gay and only be sexual with women... etc.

I get the sense that you're asking about someone else - a boyfriend? If so, you'll need to ask him whether he'd be interested in being sexual with another man. If you make it clear that that would be ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, you may not get an honest answer; if it's clear that it's something you can talk about, you should both find it easier to be honest.
    I strongly agree on this that no one can tell someone that he is interested to have sex with the same sex. Maybe it happens that sometime men appreciate men but it doesn't mean that they should be gay.. It is something like admiration on something that this guy doesn't have.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If sexuality is a sliding scale and varies for everyone say a guy was 80% straight and 20% gay but still fell under the "straight" label does this mean hes mostly attracted to women and would experience the odd attraction to men but wouldnt be interested in acting on it with a man,only women
    It's a bit difficult to answer that and i'd actually be inclined to say he's "bi" if i had to answer. But that's not necessarily right- just me wanting to label a difficult concept so it stops being difficult. Really labels are just there to make it easier to say. If there were a label for everything people feel the list would be infinate.
    Sexuallity is a very personal thing and as long as you are comfortable with who you are and what you feel and can find some way to say it it doesn't really matter what you identify as.

I've found it better to just ignore sexuality labels and say that i'm attracted to individuals since i'm certinally not attracted to all men and could see the potential to be attracted to a woman eventhough I am currently attracted to a man. If somebody asked me though, I would just say i'm straight since it's easier.

You may also find it interesting to look into the difference between sexuality and romanticality. In short romanticality or romantic attraction is finding a person attractive in an emotional sense with no implication of sexual disires. So it could be like potentially finding men attractive but not desiring to act on it.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and that at leat somewhat answers your question.
    Just remember it's all words trying to define fluid concepts that can change from moment to moment. Sometimes we don't have the right words to explain everything so just have to use the closest fit.

Edit:
    I missunderstood what you were asking slightly. If you're curious about a spicific person i'd probably ask them. It can depend on specific people though. Like i'm sexually attracted to my bf, but there are many men i'm not attracted to sexually. Equally there can be some people you are sexually attracted to but hate their personality and wouldn't be attracted to emotionally. Sexual and emotional attraction don't necessarily come hand in hand and you can even be physically attracted to somebody but not sexually attracted. Like I can see women as being physically attractive but that doesn't mean I would like to have sex with them.
    On the whole if somebody is emotionally attracted to a person they will be sexually too although it can take time to develop. The same can be true the opposite way. Like people who first meet because they find eachother physically attractive and then develop romantic feelings too.

Basically, ignore all that rambling and remember, It's all down to the individual. If you ignore labels like straight and gay and even peoples sexes and think of them as just seperate people it becomes far less complicated. That and there are (in simple terms) sexual desires and emotional desires that don't always, but often do, overlap.

To give you an actual answer to make up for the rambling, i'd think that if they are attracted to a specific man they would be open to a physical relationship at least eventually. Possibly not at first, but over time i'd think that even if sexual attraction wasn't there to begin with it would start to develop due to the romantic attraction. That's what i'd expect at least. It wouldn't be true for everybody.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep it's possible, but you don't need to be bisexual to be attracted to more than one person and yet only be sexual with one of them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.